How to make a solid LED into a flashing LED

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
To "convert" a regular LED you'd need more than just a single component soldered inline, but you could use one of these instead of the LED your project calls for, assuming (as I am that) you can find one with similar voltage/power specs. You can also buy them in bulk for cheap, direct from China, on Ebay...

Last edited:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I clicked on the link and I've just got to say that thinking the garage door will stop in exactly the same place every time is a bit of a dream. That contact switch isn't going to cut it. You need something along the lines of a proximity sensor.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003

Mr Evil

Jul 24, 2015
mrevil.asvachin.com
I clicked on the link and I've just got to say that thinking the garage door will stop in exactly the same place every time is a bit of a dream. That contact switch isn't going to cut it. You need something along the lines of a proximity sensor.
Or you could just reverse the logic: Use a normally-closed switch that opens when the door is closed.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Or you could just reverse the logic: Use a normally-closed switch that opens when the door is closed.

That's probably the proper way to do it anyway, as if you open the door 3/4 of the way it's hardly any better than being fully open. The switch suggested is still a sub-optimal design for this kind of application, either a proper microswitch or a mag/inductive switch is a lot more appropriate. Something like this magnetic one is cheap and would be a lot less finicky.

freeskier93

Apr 17, 2015
You could also just tap into the existing switch used by the garage door opener.

The $30-$40 price estimate seems like a lot though, that puts you well on your way to just getting a new garage door opener that's either "connected" or (like ours) automatically closes after a preset time.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
You could also just tap into the existing switch used by the garage door opener.

The $30-$40 price estimate seems like a lot though, that puts you well on your way to just getting a new garage door opener that's either "connected" or (like ours) automatically closes after a preset time.

Does your garage door opener actually have a physical closed switch that's accessible?