how to lap right and question on thermo compound?

jadesinbad

May 9, 2004
i recently put in a spreeze falcon heatsink on my moble cpu...my temps were 36c at first but after a few days it went up to 44c idle.. i used the paste that came on the cpu that was already applied and just slapped it onto moble...(which is at 3200+)....i think if i apply a better thermal compound the temps will drop but first i have to clean the heatsink...i read in a forum that i should lap this heatsink for it to perform better as well as apply some AS5 to it... i was thinking of using the ceramic vs the silver( dont know to much about applying and would not want to short my system).

my question is how to lap the heatsink? i mean what do i use and the procedure?...from what i have read i use sand paper...but i notice some use many grades to do so or can you use just one grade..and is there a specific grade?or grades?....

also i was going to replace my NB fan with a vantec iceberg....my question is 1. would i void my warranty? and do i use thermal paste there as well? 2. i was thinking of placing a heatsink on my SB ..would this void my warranty?

in placing the heatsink on the SB what would i use to hold it in place....does the thermal paste hold it? i read something about applying thermal epoxy. is this the same as the thermal paste? like AS5?

some suggested tape....and if i use the tape do i apply thermal paste or just the tape.

im trying to get back into the game and build another system meduim system that i can kiss goodnite :)

really appreciate any info/input

Spikey217

Golden Member
May 4, 2002
I not too sure but I think any physical modification to your motherboard would void your warranty.

Thermal paste is used on the northbridge cooler for contact. As for the southbridge, you can put a sink on there and get it to stay with either frag tape or thermal epoxy. If you plan on using thermal epoxy, remember that it is like super glue and you will not be able to remove it in the future. I'd just go with frag tape. If you need a SB heatsink, check out the one that wluk has for sale.

Link: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=45&threadid=1198459

Aug 7, 2002
my question is how to lap the heatsink? i mean what do i use and the procedure?...from what i have read i use sand paper...but i notice some use many grades to do so or can you use just one grade..and is there a specific grade?or grades?....
There are quite a few lapping guides; Googling or searching the forum archives will probably turn up as much info as you could possibly want on the subject. But in a nutshell, when you lap your heatsink the idea is to go progressively using finer and finer sandpaper. Start with something like 400 grit, then to 600, then 1000, then 2000 if you can get your hands on it (I found some at Kragen). Use a very flat surface; a piece of glass works well. The key is to make sure the bottom surface of the heatsink is completely flat, and to remove all the scratches.

in placing the heatsink on the SB what would i use to hold it in place....does the thermal paste hold it? i read something about applying thermal epoxy. is this the same as the thermal paste? like AS5?
some suggested tape....and if i use the tape do i apply thermal paste or just the tape.
If your system is in a normal tower orientation then, no, just thermal paste won't hold it. You'd need thermal epoxy which, as Spikey217 said above, is like super glue except it conducts heat--but remember that it will form a permanent bond. Thermal paste won't do that; it's just kind of tacky like peanut butter. Arctic Silver does make epoxy versions of several of their thermal pastes (Arctic Silvers 3 and 5, plus Arctic Alumina).

If you use thermal tape, which doesn't conduct heat as well but is a whole heck of a lot less messy than epoxy, then don't use any kind of thermal pastes or epoxies in conjunction with it. That would probably interfere with both thermal conduction as well as adhesiveness.

Good luck!
-asp

jadesinbad

May 9, 2004
thanks for the input/info really appreciate it....have been stressing since i didnt want to buy things i didnt need...(been waiting to hit the submit button :) )

one more question is ...is frag tape and thermal tape the same?

NickF

May 29, 2004
Keep everything clean between grit changes, that is important if you want to be able to remove all the scratches from the previous grit of sandpaper - If you really want to get the scratches out you will wash your hands (the grit gets embedded in your hands so wash them throughly) , wash the heatsink and clean the plate glass between every grit change. Use silicon carbide sandpaper the wet or dry kind, start at 600 (unless the heatsink is in really bad shape) and progress to 1200 to 1600 etc (depends on how much time you want to waste :) ) and use water on the sandpaper when you are lapping. Keep the sanpaper nice and wet. Also change the water between grits.

Granorense

Oct 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Spikey217
I not too sure but I think any physical modification to your motherboard would void your warranty.

Thermal paste is used on the northbridge cooler for contact. As for the southbridge, you can put a sink on there and get it to stay with either frag tape or thermal epoxy. If you plan on using thermal epoxy, remember that it is like super glue and you will not be able to remove it in the future. I'd just go with frag tape. If you need a SB heatsink, check out the one that wluk has for sale.

What are you talking about?

Spikey217

Golden Member
May 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Granorense
Originally posted by: Spikey217

What are you talking about?

What are you trying to ask?