How to keep my CPU running at a constant speed

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Hello everyone,

I have a i5 3470 which runs fine for the most part but I have a aching suspicion that the core fluctuation in speed due to intel speedstep is responsible for drops in fps and random spouts of stuttering while gaming. Disabling C1E and Speedstep in the bios have failed in stopping my cpu from fluctuating between idle/normal/boost speeds. I was wondering how to go about keeping my cpu running at a constant speed, whether it be the boost clock speeds at 3.6ghz or the stock speed of 3.2ghz. I assume I have to tweak the voltage or something, but I am not 100% sure how to go about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My motherboard is an ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM rev 3.0 in case anyone was wondering.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Windows 7 or 8.1?

Go to power options and set processor power management to 100% minimum and 100% maximum state.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Speedstep is generally unnoticeable except in benchmarks.

There's very little chance that speedstep is slowing the processor down under any load.

Switching windows to "high performance" will keep the CPU at high speed and higher power use.

Only overclocking in the BIOS will make it the CPU run above it's rated clock speeds, such as running at the turbo boost speed all the time or with all cores.

Turbo boost has nothing to do with stuttering in games, and nothing to do with speedstep.

Last edited:

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Speedstep has no impact on smoothness in anything with my system. I'd bet it's something else.