how to install games on a netbook?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by SpeedEng66, Nov 3, 2008.

1. SpeedEng66

SpeedEng66 Diamond Member

how do you install and play games without a external cd/dvd drive?
    do I just copy the cd onto a jump drive?

2. Loading...

3. Newbian

Newbian Lifer

Don't want to sound mean but if it's a netbook without even a cd drive I doubt it would be powerful enough to run most games made this decade.

4. SpeedEng66

heh I know it will run... slow but it will run (I had sims2 on a p3 1133 laptop with a 4mb s3 video)

im just trying to put something on there to keep me busy on the plane (I hate flyin)

5. pontifex

pontifex Lifer

copy to another pc and use a network or crossover cable? share cd/dvd drive and access it through the network or crossover cable? i guess you could copy to flash drive if you have one with enough capacity.

6. SpeedEng66

(im installing it to a jump drive as I type)

how do I trick it to not to look for the cd to load the game??

7. Raduque

Raduque Lifer

As the Mods are pretty strict on piracy around here, openly asking for circumvention tools is a no-no.

Maybe you could buy a cheap enclosure and put a CDROM drive in it?

8. SpeedEng66

I know that this is kinda boarderline topic

but im not askin for a cracked version or a cd code
    I have the a (legal) cd and the code infront of me

I just want to be able to use this game on my 1000ha
    without a cdrom (im going out of the country I dont wanna carry more stuff than i have to ;) )

9. Raduque

Raduque Lifer

This highlights, I think, one of the big failings of the "netbook" trend. It's too small and lacks the features to be a "real" laptop, and it's too big and heavy to be a true "portable", and by "portable" I mean "PDA/iPhone sized or just slightly larger".

10. fatpat268

fatpat268 Diamond Member

Make an iso of the cd on another computer... put the iso on a usb drive of some sort. Mount it with daemon tools and install. Either keep the usb drive with the iso in when you want to play, or google for a no-cd crack for the game.

I know, it's a pain in the but... I used to have a laptop with out a disk drive and it caused more troubles than it was worth.

11. drebo

drebo Diamond Member

This quote illustrates one of the key failings of consumers when it comes to netbooks.

It's not meant to be used as a "real" laptop or main computer. It's not a PDA or cell phone. It's not supposed to take the place of any of these. The netbook is nothing more than a small, cheap device used for simple tasks that don't require a full-features notebook but wouldn't be practical on a PDA. A liberal arts student taking notes in class, for instance. A professional in a meeting. A town secratary taking down minutes in a town-hall meeting. Checking your email while sitting on the couch downstairs.

For some people, yes, it can take the place of a computer. But that's not its intended purpose, and people need to understand that. Netbooks don't compete with low-cost laptop computers. They don't compete with PDAs. They're a market all to themselves.

12. Raduque

Raduque Lifer

I guess I just don't understand the reason for this market to exist. A PDA phone with a sliding keyboard can do all 4 of the items you described just as well, and then you can email it to yourself, text it to somebody, or check your email/browse the web anywhere (not just where you're lucky enough to find a wifi hotspot), and slip it in your pocket. Netbooks are still big enough to require a carrying solution.

It just puzzles me why somebody would pick a small, half-functional, but still weighty/largish device over a full subnotebook (and be tethered to wifi hotspots; they don't have PCMCIA slots, do they?) or a feature-rich PDA phone with high-speed data.

13. bobross419

bobross419 Golden Member

We have two at work for the after hours on call people. They have to take it with them wherever they go in case they get a call, so the more compact design and lighter weight makes this more transportable than a full laptop would be. Typing on a PDA is by no means the same as using a real keyboard (Even the small keyboard on the netbooks) because you are usually just using your thumbs; even with the small size of the netbooks I am able to use the keyboard nearly as well as a real laptop keyboard (Which is slightly less than a desktop keyboard).

14. SpeedEng66

for me I purchased the 1000ha for my wife (she's starting her masters next year)
    in the past I purchased a dell axim for her with the keyboard attachment it worked fine for her at the time but ended up being too tiny for her (and now it collects dust lol)
    she stole my ibm t23 (p3 1133) for power point near the end but carryin that + books and ect became too much.. she has a another laptop of her own but thats heavier than the t23. so thats a no go...

so yea I picked up the asus for her it's still faster than my t23. lighter than the t23 with out the batterey and optical drive (I have too much time on my hands heh)
    and her hands are tiny so the keyboard is fine for her (not like my huge knubs)