How To: Install a Customized CyanogenMod 7/Gingerbread Rom on a Kindle Fire Tablet

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Pardus, May 8, 2012.

1. Pardus

Pardus Diamond Member

#1 Pardus, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Install Customized CyanogenMod Forum Date
    Marshmello 6.01 ROM won't let me install new apps. Mobile Devices & Gadgets Sep 5, 2016
    Can I install regular S4 Lollipop on an S4 Mini? How? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Oct 30, 2015
    Should you wipe a new phone and install a new rom? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Jun 13, 2015
    Anybody has S4 Mini with lollipop? Can I install following firmware? Mobile Devices & Gadgets May 24, 2015
    Installing custom rom, no ‘install zip from sdcard’ option? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Nov 17, 2012

3. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

I've been reading over a couple threads over @ XDA as I jumped on the $139 refurb deal last week on a Fire and just waiting for my Fire to arrive.

4. pm

pm Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br>Mobile Device
    Super Moderator

Nice post. I'll sticky this for a bit.

5. bdub951

bdub951 Junior Member

Great post. Have you encountered any issues with 4.0? How does browsing compare to the silk browser?

6. pmark

pmark Senior member

Is this the best ROM to use to get ICS onto the Kindle Fire? How does it compare to AOKP?

7. Pardus

Pardus Diamond Member

None of the builds so far will play video properly with default browser, still testing with Silk and Firefox.

Testing AKOP now

Result: Got AKOP to work only after flashing to default rom, then to AKOP and gapps.

#6 Pardus, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  8. blipblop

blipblop Senior member

appreciate the guide, saw it over at xda and debating whether or not i want to flash it.

9. rdn2fst

rdn2fst Junior Member

Yazoo, thanks for this guide! It helped me get through loading a rom on my Kinlde Fire. I had a bit of a snag in part 3 with installing the rom.

It would load successful but upon rebooting into the system all i would get was the skating android falling through blue clouds. I let it run like that for 15 minutes before starting over with rom installation. I went thru 3 roms that all did the same thing before deciding that I must have missed something.

What I did to get this going was to run a Factory Reset from the wipe menu in TWRP before installing the rom. When I did that and continued with rom installation the Kindle booted into ICS.

10. czpk

czpk Junior Member

I have similar problem - the skating android falling through blue clouds, but I can't enter to TWRP:( some ideas would by appreciated:)

11. TrueBlueLS

TrueBlueLS Platinum Member

With the Kindle Fire not having an option for external storage, what kind of space are you left with after installing ICS out of the 8GB that is built in?

12. czpk

czpk Junior Member

Well, I didn't change anything, so it must be default value (I guess:D)

13. Pardus

Pardus Diamond Member

Try with barebones rom.

5gb Useable Space

#12 Pardus, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  14. jwrightsman

jwrightsman Junior Member

I installed this version of ICS no problem, but for some reason, in teh about tablet section, the android version shows as 2.3.7. I was expecting version 4.0.4. Everything works fine otherwise.

15. Pardus

Pardus Diamond Member

See post #1 for reason.

#14 Pardus, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  16. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

just throwing out this idea, its probably inaccurate, but maybe its just for compatibility with the device. trick the hardware into thinking its running on the "proper" software?

17. ViperXX

ViperXX Platinum Member

I followed these instructions and put ICS on my KF the other night. Has anyone put Jelly Bean on there's yet? I see that the API16 (Jelly Bean?) is available to download in the SDK manager.

18. azndude

azndude Junior Member

I'm using Jelly Bean on my Fire and it's great. It has some really nice features, and is smooth as butter and just as stable as GingerBread is and better than ICS IMO. I"m using Jelly Bean ROM using SGT7 enhancements. Twa_priv Build(XDA)

19. bdub951

bdub951 Junior Member

I wanted to report AMAZING results with switching to a jellybean based ROM, specifically JandyCane 1.7.1 It's hard to fathom how smooth and stable this build is considering how new it is. Chrome runs like a dream on it.

The only problem I've run into so far is the lack of Amazon video support. That's an issue that all ROMs are working to address AFAIK.

Go check it out at XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766829

20. ViperXX

ViperXX Platinum Member

Thanks for the link. I got it installed and I already notice how much smoother it is then ICS. OP update your instructions to include JandyCane.

#19 ViperXX, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012