How to hook a garden hose up to a fire hydrant

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
With enough adapters anything is possible! (also the unofficial Apple motto)

OHjyTR5.jpg

Reactions: paperfist

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Guessing it's a temporary feed while they are repairing water mains. I've seen them do that here. I always wonder how they stop it from freezing, I guess they just tell people to leave the water running.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
first thing is a meter, the second doohicky is a double check valve. Gotta have one to prevent siphoning really nasty things back into the water mains.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
first thing is a meter, the second doohicky is a double check valve. Gotta have one to prevent siphoning really nasty things back into the water mains.

I never understood the check valve idea. With the amount of pressure those put out how in the world would anything back flow?

The don’t freeze because they have a drain valve that open below the frost line when the valve on the hydrant is closed.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I never understood the check valve idea. With the amount of pressure those put out how in the world would anything back flow?

Easy, water pressure goes away due to a line break or pump failure. Odds are not good but you don't want to be on the receiving end of something toxic in your water if it happens.

Reactions: skyking

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Couplers and adapters are truly a godsend. This comes from my own experience.
That adapter contraption thing probably cost 300 bucks in total.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Couplers and adapters are truly a godsend. This comes from my own experience.
That adapter contraption thing probably cost 300 bucks in total.

i wouldn't say 300 from the plumbing tag onwards, maybe $60 and half an hour at home depot mixing and matching fittings and putting the incorrect ones in the wrong boxes

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
i wouldn't say 300 from the plumbing tag onwards, maybe $60 and half an hour at home depot mixing and matching fittings and putting the incorrect ones in the wrong boxes

I dunno 1.5” copper fittings like make adapters are $15. Black couplings that size are like $10. Stuff is pricey.

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
I have questions...
Seeing as the hydrant is an East Jordan Iron Works model and the tag has a 248 area code...this is somewhere in the Detroit area.

Some municipalities will allow temporary businesses draw water off of metered hydrants. You can see the same setup here: https://goo.gl/maps/PvsLgo9hoQu. There is a temporary garden center that operates every summer. They pull water from the hydrant.

Some types of municipal use of water has to be metered, too.

Reactions: Kaido

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Guessing it's to let people fill their pools? Though I have also seen this as a temp solution when they're doing construction. But if this is detroit my guess is that it's just people stealing water lol. Nobody even police is going to question it and just let them be or risk getting shot at. Somebody else is probably going to come steal that whole contraption anyway to sell it for scrap metal.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Guessing it's to let people fill their pools? Though I have also seen this as a temp solution when they're doing construction. But if this is detroit my guess is that it's just people stealing water lol. Nobody even police is going to question it and just let them be or risk getting shot at. Somebody else is probably going to come steal that whole contraption anyway to sell it for scrap metal.
As has already been pointed out, there is a meter present. Therefore odds are most excellent that the setup is legal. Your assessment of Detroit is about as accurate as us'uns describing Canadians as moose piss swilling penguin fuckers.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
They use this around here for street fairs. All the food vendors need a water hookup so they put a meter on the hydrant and there you go.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
They use this around here for street fairs. All the food vendors need a water hookup so they put a meter on the hydrant and there you go.

Winner!

I emailed the company on the tag and they said:

"It’s original use was I think for the state fair to supply water to multiple food vender trailer"