How to Hack your Squeezebox (no Logitech Remote Required!)

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I've been working on a Smart Home system and one of the key features I wanted was whole-house audio (music in every room). Whole-house audio receivers are expensive, require lots of in-wall wiring, and doesn't provide the level of features I wanted. Sonos, a wireless music system, is the best option, but it has two problems: (1) it's too expensive for my current system-testing budget and (2) it's not open-source, which makes it difficult to custom program (doable, just difficult). The Sonos prices are as follows:

Remote Control - $400
Cradle for Remote - $40
Unamped Receiver - $350
Amped Receiver - $500 (55w per channel)
Wireless Bridge - $100 (for expanding into far-away areas)

So the minimum system you could get away with would cost $750 (1 Remote Control and 1 Unamped Receiver). Yikes! Sonos has the best-in-class features, including an amplified model and audio inputs which can route audio to any of the receivers in your house, but the price for my test setup was simply too great. To setup, say, 6 rooms, it would cost $2500 (1 Remote Control and 6 Unamped Receivers).

Enter Squeezebox. Logitech acquired Slim Devices and released the Squeezebox Duet, a lightweight Sonos competitor. It features a slim color remote and a tiny receiver. I say lightweight because the receiver lacks (1) inputs and (2) amplification. This isn't necessarily a bad thing if you have a digital music collection (MP3, AAC, etc.) and if you use your own receivers. Plus - their Squeezebox Receiver only costs $150!

The way the Logitech works is that you buy a base system first. This includes 1 Squeezebox Receiver and 1 Squeezebox Remote for $400. Once you have the Remote, you can activate as many additional Receivers ($150) as you want. However, since I was planning on using the whole-house audio system with my iPhone, I wasn't really thrilled with the prospect of having to purchase a $300 remote ($250 with Receiver) for the sole purpose of activating the Receivers, especially since they advertise using other remotes with the system:

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_remotes.html

But...Logitech's stuff is Open Source! After a bit of searching, I found a guy who had made a custom Perl script to emulate the Squeezebox Remote and activate the Squeezebox Receivers without actually having to own a Remote. I ordered a Squeezebox Receiver (sans Remote) and gave it a try last night...and it worked! :D For convenience, I've zipped up a package for Windows that includes ActivePerl and the custom Perl script, along with instructions for using Ethernet + DHCP to configure the Receiver:

http://rapidshare.com/files/14...241/SqueezeMe.zip.html

If you want to configure your Squeezebox Receiver to connect wirelessly or setup other features, here is the project webpage:

http://projects.robinbowes.com/Net-UDAP/trac

And the original project thread at the Squeezebox forums:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43722

The SqueezeCenter software comes with a skin called "Touch" which is fairly usable on an iPhone or iPod Touch, although it's not the best. Another programmer released some Mac software for interfacing the iTouch devices and Squeezebox systems together and called it iPeng, available here:

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/

Anyway, the bottom line is that you can hack the Squeezebox Receiver and use the Remote of your choice so that you only have to shell out $150 per room. This way, you can use whatever audio equipment you want - something as simple as a boombox or stereo receiver or as advanced as a Home Theater system. The same 6-room system that cost $2500 from Sonos would only cost $900 plus the cost of an iPod Touch or your iPhone - less than half the cost, but with all the benefits of being Open Source.

:thumbsup: :D

Cliff's:
1. Squeezebox Receiver gives you whole-house audio for $150 per room
2. Just hack with Perl script
3. Add amp/speakers and enjoy!

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Logitech - is the I pronounced eh or ee? Sorry to disrupt.

That seems pretty cool though. It is not something I am looking for but I will be passing this info on to a guy at work that expressed interest in a system that can wirelessly stream audio from his PC to his receiver. Thanks.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Reel

That seems pretty cool though. It is not something I am looking for but I will be passing this info on to a guy at work that expressed interest in a system that can wirelessly stream audio from his PC to his receiver. Thanks.

I've heard it pronounced differently in different regions :) I actually usually say LogiEHtech.

Yeah, that'd be a good application...plus it's audiophile quality, so as long as his source is good he'll have some quality sound output.

JimmyJG

Apr 10, 2009
Originally posted by: Reel

I'm from England.
I don't wish to offend. But Americans can't really spell or pronounce anything properly in English anyway (That's just a fact). So don't worry about it.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I tried using the script in Win and when I typed "discovery" it does nothing. This was using Perl 5.8.936 both 64-bit and 32-bit versions. It works on XP though.

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
I wanted to revive this ancient thread to post that I have discovered the greatness of Logitech Duet. I installed it in my house that already contained a Russound amp and 5 rooms wired with speakers/keypad.

The squeezebox server software and interface are a little gimpy but I am making it work with the Duet's supplied remote.

Until...I discovered the GREATNESS of the iphone app for iPeng. Now, I can control all of my mp3 collection from my phone, anywhere in the house, or, anywhere I have cell service or wifi. The possibilities are limitless!

Next, my plan is to build a NAS box and create a low-powered server without leaving my gaming computer on 24/7. iPeng supports wake-on-LAN and all kinds of other cool stuff. Check it out!

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
grohl, do you have any links I could look at? I picked up at Logitech SB Duet when Amazon had it for a Gold Box deal (I'm guessing you did the same) but haven't even unboxed it yet. It was a deal I couldn't pass up but the system I'd use it with isn't currently set up.

edit: nvm! Saw that it was in the OP, oops. Hadn't read this thread since it was originally posted. :p

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
Nice, you bet I got in on that gold box deal as well. I think the Duet is really perfect for my setup but maybe not for everyone.

The combination of the Duet and iPeng are totally amazing to me. It's like creating your own "cloud" of music that can be everywhere you go.

The server software is still kind of buggy although I am making it work.

groepaz

Apr 15, 2013
Hi
I tried to downlad the zip file and I ended up with an error message. Do you mind to make it accessible again?

Thanks