How to go about finding tech related jobs at an early age?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Here's what I've accomplished.

When I was 14 I started doing freelance computer work. Hard to get people to trust you when you're a kid, but I always did good work and everyone I worked for added to my reputation. When I was 17, I got a job for a computer shop. What I did was hassle the owner until he decided to finally test my services. I ended up working for a week as sort of a temporary employee until I could prove myself worthy. I ended up doing a great job since I knew all the main PC OSes from DOS, Win3.1/95/NT. I ended up working there until I went to college. When I got to the University, I learned of the computer network setup on campus. I installed a network card in my computer and started doing the same for other people. Since it was the first year the University had a network for students in the dorms, they had a limited number of employees and because I had installed network cards for complete strangers that lived in the dorms for no fee(I was a nice guy)....some of the networking staff was wondering why so many people already had network cards in their computers. I got a call the next day for a job offer. I've been working for the University for 2 years now and getting REALLY low pay, but it's great cause I don't have to pay tax and they're really flexible. Last summer, I got a job offer from a nonprofit state organization that was associated with the Welfare-to-Work program. I was a technician for the district headquarters and I traveled around fixing network/computer/printer problems(good pay+travel). Now I am still working for the University and also working for a national corp.'s headquarters in their help desk department. Making pretty good money doing this for now until I get a degree. It pays to have an impressive degree when you're young. Mine's been in the making for 3 years and I'm 19. It looks good so far and when I get a degree it should get me hired somewhere pretty easily......I hope.