How to get your friend OFF of Minecraft

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
So I have a friend who started playing minecraft maybe 4 months ago. This friend is the creative type, so I had a feeling he was going to get hooked, but I had no idea it would be this bad.

He plays the game just about as much as he is able to, sometimes taking breaks at work to play in his car. When he comes over now, he brings his laptop and mouse, and just sits on the couch and plays. Last week we were all in the basement watching TV/playing other dumb games and stuff, and he was upstairs most of the time playing this goddamn game.

If it were strictly the defense mode or whatever it is, I can see him getting bored with it, but he mostly just builds these ridiculous automated systems for harvesting and killing and all that kind of crap (never really played the game so I can barely explain what he does).

I know from when I was younger that really wanting to play a game that much and not getting bored with it is a pretty awesome feeling, but theres too many other awesome things out there to get stuck like that anymore. (he hasnt even watched any new breaking bad episodes!). I try to get him to play some other games, in hopes that itll get him off minecraft, and then possibly back to a normal life, but no luck so far.

I know its not really a big deal, and he can do whatever he wants with his free time, but its getting pretty bad.

Also, is there a way to check playtime? Im curious to see how many hours he has put in so far.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
You probably wont like this but just leave him be. He will get bored eventually and come round on his own.

NickelPlate

Nov 9, 2006
I think everyone here has experienced some degree of video game addiction at some point. I'd say it's harmless unless it starts to seriously interfere with real life things like family, friends and jobs and day to day responsibilities.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
I think everyone here has experienced some degree of video game addiction at some point. I'd say it's harmless unless it starts to seriously interfere with real life things like family, friends and jobs and day to day responsibilities.

I went through my minecraft phase pretty quick because I liked the idea of doing everything "the hard way" and testing out a lot of world seeds that had me starting in an interesting area. After spending 30-40 hours in two different worlds that I liked I started messing with the inventory and map editors. The single player game lost any appeal after that, because setting the limits of not using them made me realize how tedious it is to get the "cool" parts of that game. I tried multiplayer a couple times and just never found a server that was worth it to me.

My dungeon defenders addiction mainly had me losing sleep and wasting every second of free time, but I never really got that with minecraft. Leanring my lesson from minecraft I stuck to the ranked dungeon defender servers so as not to use all the shortcut mods in open mode. Once I finally did, it was no big deal because I cared more about enhancing my ranked characters instead of wasting time in open mode. Steam says I have over 480 hours in DD, but I would imagine 25% of that was either leaving the game open in menus overnight/during important tasks (cleaning, eating, showering), or AFK farming with tower characters.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
Suggestions to get him a GF or that he needs one are not correct, it wouldn't change anything with the guy's gaming habits.
Gaming is something we are not naturally intended to do, it's unhealthy and has devastating physiological and mental health effects when done constantly.
It's just like alcohol, drugs or slot machines, you get destroyed in the addiction.
Just like with substance abuse, you won't put him off gaming unless he decides to do so on his own.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Sounds like he needs a girlfriend.

Ya, he'd be much better off listening to drama, going shopping for her clothes with her, watching Dancing with the Stars with her, getting calls 'where are you?'

There's a reason men invented computer games.

OP, it's a legitimate issue, there are some things online about it.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
The friendship is a simple one, don't allow him to bring his laptop over when you get together. This can be done multiple ways, make it a social evening out, be it bowling, movie, whatever. The laptop can not accompany him on this. If you are hosting a sports night, make it clear what the friends will be doing... watching the game together.

Make it a point, "Are you going to bring the laptop?" "Yes." "Then don't come."

As far as beyond the friendship, it is his life, he has to find out what his boundaries are in time commitment and whatnot.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Ya, he'd be much better off listening to drama, going shopping for her clothes with her, watching Dancing with the Stars with her, getting calls 'where are you?'

Is that what a girlfriend is?? Then who the hell is this cool chick that I've been living with for the last five years?

They're not all vapid, jealous broads.

OP, don't sweat it. It'll pass. Just bust his chops about it a little more. If there is a reasonable human being in there, he'll come around.

If he doesn't, then he is crazy and Minecraft is a symptom of a bigger problem.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
He should get a girlfriend, then she can cook and clean and such which will free more time up for him to play minecraft.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
OP. remind him the graphics suck and he is letting down his PC masterrace brothers with that 8bit garbage. Then punch him in the face!

Or, you know, let a grown man do what he wants. If he starts acting like an addict, treat him like one. Otherwise, let him be. Also, stop inviting him over to your house. He should be playing alone; where he belongs!

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Interesting, minecraft is a pretty shallow game. Once you build a house and played a mod, you played them all

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
shens

Friend is probably just tired of you wanting to play CoD all the time.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I said hooker not gf, distinctive difference.

I feel an internet bromance about to happen.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
OP. remind him the graphics suck and he is letting down his PC masterrace brothers with that 8bit garbage. Then punch him in the face!

Or, you know, let a grown man do what he wants. If he starts acting like an addict, treat him like one. Otherwise, let him be. Also, stop inviting him over to your house. He should be playing alone; where he belongs!

i-like-the-way-you-think-thumb.jpg

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

Sounds like you have had some bad relationships.

Stop dating girls and date a real woman.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
You just have to wait until the next Minecraft update comes out. It'll change some small detail in the game and he'll become infuriated and delete the game in rage.