How to get Windows 7 product key from OEM so I can do a clean install?

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
So my brother has a laptop that needs a fresh install of Win 7. The MS sticker is worn out on the bottom of it so I can't make out any product key info if it was there. What I want to do is use a Windows 7 disc that I have and do a fresh install and what I'm wondering is if there's a place in the system info where I can retrieve this key ?

Thanks
Mike

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Magic Jellybean or Key Finder will find it however unless someone used that key at one point to do a re-install the key it finds will be from the original install and I am pretty sure that won't work.

Instead try and run the factory restore from the partition on the hard drive.

HP Compaq – F11 at first screen
Toshiba - press on the zero key when turning on the laptop computer
Acer & eMachines – Hold ALT and F10 at boot

That way you are sure to get all the drivers installed and it will auto activate.

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
Magic Jellybean or Key Finder will find it however unless someone used that key at one point to do a re-install the key it finds will be from the original install and I am pretty sure that won't work.

Instead try and run the factory restore from the partition on the hard drive.

HP Compaq – F11 at first screen
Toshiba - press on the zero key when turning on the laptop computer
Acer & eMachines – Hold ALT and F10 at boot

That way you are sure to get all the drivers installed and it will auto activate.

Ok so even if I have the same exact version you mean it won't work? I don't think anyone has done a fresh install for him yet.

I will try the factory restore also.

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
As Matt1970 said; a factory restore is the best advice unless you're prepared to go to the manufacturers website and hope you can find all the correct drivers you'll need to download and install, as well as having to call Microsoft and get reactivated. Unless the disk you plan on using is an OEM installation disk from the manufacturer of the laptop, it won't activate because it won't have a matching XRM-MS license file.

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
Ok so I think I'm screwed. The HD only has one partition an I don't see a restore partition.

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
install everest. then under software licence.you will be able to see the product licence

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
Ok I went through the the factory restore with the Toshiba wizard when you press 0. After install and when its tries to start up Windows it says " Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer restart installation."

I'll try the restore again, but I don't think it will fix this. Any ideas?

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Finally got it to work. Thanks for the info guys!!

Because you don't have the product key anymore, it would be a good idea to image the newly restored hard drive. That way, you can restore the laptop in the future if the hard drive ever fails without having to purchase another Windows license.

boochi

May 21, 2011
Word of advice on product key stickers. Take a hairdryer and heat it up and it should peel right off. Remove your battery and stick it in that compartment and you will never have to worry about it rubbing off.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Word of advice on product key stickers. Take a hairdryer and heat it up and it should peel right off. Remove your battery and stick it in that compartment and you will never have to worry about it rubbing off.

I have stuck a piece of tape on them before. That keeps the letters from wearing off.. Also a good idea to type it out and email it to yourself.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
And just for some advice, if you extract the Windows key using Jellybean or SIW, that key will NOT activate. It is a pre-activated mass OEM install key that is NOT the same as the key on the COA that came with the laptop.

So my suggestion is to make the factory backup dvd's once you get back into windows. If the hard drive should fail someday, you'll be forced to buy a new license key.

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
Thanks again for the tips guy! God damn I forgot how long it takes to update Windows 7. I'll let him know he needs to back it up.
Something is still wrong with his laptop, but I can't pin point what it is. Seems to feel like its hanging , but cpu is hardly used when this happens. I wonder if its the HD?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Thanks again for the tips guy! God damn I forgot how long it takes to update Windows 7. I'll let him know he needs to back it up.
Something is still wrong with his laptop, but I can't pin point what it is. Seems to feel like its hanging , but cpu is hardly used when this happens. I wonder if its the HD?

Very true. Whenever possible, try service packs first. They typically bundle updates in them.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
And just for some advice, if you extract the Windows key using Jellybean or SIW, that key will NOT activate. It is a pre-activated mass OEM install key that is NOT the same as the key on the COA that came with the laptop.

So my suggestion is to make the factory backup dvd's once you get back into windows. If the hard drive should fail someday, you'll be forced to buy a new license key.

I've done fresh win7 installs on HP desktops using the key extracted by SIW.
I haven't had any issues.

edit: It's been awhile since I did the last refresh...maybe I'm forgetting

Last edited: