How to get TRUE Dolby Digital 5.1 sound from a PC???

Fenix793

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2000
I just got some extra money so I'm gonna get a Sony DE845 receiver which can do Dolby Digital decoding. Now does that mean I can use the digital out on my MP3+ and get true Dolby Digital all the time? Or do I have to get a new Live 5.1 series board to make it work? The creative site really doesnt explain anything. And my drivers don't really have an option to turn on Dolby Digital anywhere. Anyone know how to setup a sound system like this?

SilverBack

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Your MP3+ will work just fine, the Live Platinum or the Live "Full" both have a digital out as well. What you need is a 5.1 decoder so the Sony DE845 will work just fine.
I have the Desk Top theater 5.1 from Creative Labs as well which includes a decoder. DVD's simply rock with 5.1 on a 22" screen, it has to be seen and heard to be believed.

You can use any 5.1 decoder if you have a digital out on your soundcard. One warning though, Win2000 and as far as I know Win ME do not support 5.1 as of yet.
In Win 98 the 5.1 to decoder is "auto-sensing" in the drivers.

Hope I helped you,

Ben

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you open up your Surround Mixer there's a "speaker" button on the left. Press that and you'll get a picture of speakers in the window. If you press "speaker selection" at the bottom of the picture, you can pick "Creative Surround".

Check to see if you have this. I'm using a SBLive! card with LiveWare 3.0.

Setup is easy.

lumpyhed

Sep 12, 2000
*chuckle*
The SBLive! series can't do Dolby Digital 5.1 by itself, infact you need the Encore DVD hardware decoder to get it. Anything else is emulated! :p

Ben

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< Live!Surround
How can I connect my Sound Blaster Live! to my surround receiver?

Sound Blaster Live! offers 2 kinds of connection to your surround receiver: 1. Front stereo connection (only front speaker output of Sound Blaster Live!) to RCA stereo input of your Receiver (Aux-in, CD-in) 2. SPDIF (from Digital Audio Extension card to SPDIF input on Surround receiver) Once you have connected Sound Blaster Live! to your surround receiver, choose &quot;Live!Surround&quot; in your speaker panel located in the AudioHQ group.
>>

And don't forget to set your Decoder to 5.1 surround.

Dug

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2000
Just buy a stand alone DVD player and you don't have to worry about it.

Soccerman

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
first of all, you normally don't get any audio through the digital out, unless it's with a DVD.

second of all, yeah that's how you're supposed to get 5.1 out of your Live card. it sends the undecoded signal to your decoder through the digital out, and your decoder does the rest. in order for games and windows to make sounds though, you still need to connect the RCA plugs.

Sohcan

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< The SBLive! series can't do Dolby Digital 5.1 by itself, infact you need the Encore DVD hardware decoder to get it. Anything else is emulated! >>

Any SB Live card with S/PDIF out can use a software DVD player to pass the encoded AC-3 signal to an external decoder/receiver to get true Dolby Digital sound. You don't need a hardware decoder.

Wizkid

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Also, you DO get audio through the digital out even when not watching a DVD. I use the digital connection for listening to MP3s, playing games, etc. I don't even have anything plugged into the analog connectors :)

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
An SBLive! will not encode audio into Dolby Digital for you.
It can still outpout digital audio (meaning that it is not analog) but it's not Dolby Digital.

The SBLive! *will* passthrough Dolby Digital though, so if you are playing a DVD, go in your software decoder and check SP/DIF or Dolby Passthrough or something like that (Doesn't work with Win2k).

And as far as I know you can use the digital port on the MP3+ for this, as long as you have the mini-Jack to SPDIF converter.

You can't get games/mp3s in &quot;Dobly&quot; Digital, you can of course get them in plain digital though.

Fenix793

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2000
ok lets say i want to use my digital to out to connect my live to my receiver. What would i need? its only one minijack so what kind of connector would have to be on the other end to get my receiver to get all the channels comin from the live?

Soccerman

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
ok my bad, I didn't know about normal audio (so sue me).

however I DO KNOW THIS:
&quot;Any SB Live card with S/PDIF out can use a software DVD player to pass the encoded AC-3 signal to an external decoder/receiver to get true Dolby Digital sound. You don't need a hardware decoder.&quot;

you just contradicted yourself. you need a decoder to decode the raw signal that is sent over the Digital out. a decoder is a decoder. period!

Sugadaddy

Banned
May 12, 2000
Use a minijack to rca cable and plug either the right or left rca (can't remember which) into the digital-in of your decoder...