How to get to 12 GB RAM on i7 920 build?

Aug 25, 2009
I want to use 12GB for my i7 920 DO Asus P6T Deluxe V2 MOBO but not sure which RAM to buy :shocked:

One way would be to use two kits of this TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator RAM The heatsink on the dominator one looks better (also has fan adding option) but to get to 12GB I will have to use two different sets of non matching 6GB kit.

The other way would be to get this fully matching non Domiantor <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/HX3X12G1600C9.pdf">12GB HX3X12G1600C9 kit.
</a>
I will be overclocking the i7 920 DO CPU to to 3.6GHZ level hopefully so not sure which would be the best way to go for me? On Corsair forum someone said that 12GB matching kit is my only option.

On the other hand this article used two non matching version of dominator kit. So which way should I go?

In 1-2 months a 12GB fully matching version of Domiantor RAM will be coming out but I can't sit on my parts that long Any words of wisdom?

imported_Shaq

Sep 24, 2004
I would think the same brand of RAM would be fine. Each brand should use the same RAM chips. I bought two sets of Ballistix DDR2 2-3 months apart and they ran perfectly together OC'd.

To run 12GB VTT will need to be pretty high, but with the D0 is manageable. My chip would need over 1.4v to do that, which is over max spec. For 3.6 are you doing 20x180 with a 10x (1800) memory multi?

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
In general, as long as the modules on the same channel are matching, you'll be fine - i.e. slots 1-3-5 are the same kit, and slots 2-4-6 are the same kit. This only changes if the different kits have different specs and you try to run them on timings that are too high for one of the kits, or voltage that is too low.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
Buy 2 identical 3x2GB kits and stop worrying.
Remarkably, at one point people used non-matching ram for dual channel and it worked fine.

Dec 27, 2004
www.store.massiverc.com
I've used the OCZ CAS 7 set and my current XMP set without any problems. You should be good with what ilkhan stated. I try and order my sets at the same time so there's a greater chance that the serial numbers between the two are closer together, but it's not worth ordering 12 gig sets unless the prices/speed are close to buying two 3x2 sets.

3.6 Ghz should be a walk in the park.

Aug 25, 2009
Originally posted by: ilkhan
Buy 2 identical 3x2GB kits and stop worrying.
Remarkably, at one point people used non-matching ram for dual channel and it worked fine.

Corsair admin wrote-

TR3X6G1600C8D is tested as it's sold: 3 sticks @ 1600. There is absolutely NO guarantee that 2 packs will work together at their rated speeds, especially since you'd probably be mixing ICs (versions). Memory controllers don't like mixing ICs.

The 12GB kit is $80 cheaper than 2 identical 3x2GB kits. If both are rated for 1600Mhz should I not just go for the 12GB matching kit? Could the quality and cooling really be that inferior compared to dominator ones?

Sorry for worrying but it's difficult to bite the bullet as a noob :)

Dec 27, 2004
www.store.massiverc.com
If it's cheaper then go ahead and go for it, it's got XMP profiles, which should make things easier for ya when OCing. As far as ram cooling. Just get an Antec Spot cool: cool your RAM and NB with just one fan (if you angle it correctly sometimes you can hit your SB and mosfets as well).

The link for the dominators doesn't work for me, but they probably have tighter timings. Looks like you're looking for stability over OC (and 3.6 isn't that extreme of an OC on a D0) so go with the 12 GB kit, especially since it's cheaper and spend the money you save on an Antec Spotcool

Aug 25, 2009
Originally posted by: Massive Overkill
If it's cheaper then go ahead and go for it, it's got XMP profiles, which should make things easier for ya when OCing. As far as ram cooling. Just get an Antec Spot cool: cool your RAM and NB with just one fan (if you angle it correctly sometimes you can hit your SB and mosfets as well).

The link for the dominators doesn't work for me, but they probably have tighter timings. Looks like you're looking for stability over OC (and 3.6 isn't that extreme of an OC on a D0) so go with the 12 GB kit, especially since it's cheaper and spend the money you save on an Antec Spotcool

Sorry the link for dominator TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator RAM

Ok I decided to go with the 12GB kit <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/HX3X12G1600C9.pdf">12GB HX3X12G1600C9 kit.
</a>

I will also ordered this to cool the modules. It covers all 6 modules and fits on the non dominator DDR3 memory too. Should provide good direct airflow.
http://www.dijitaltrend.com/ek%20bilgiler/CMXAF2_2.jpg

That Antec Spotcool looks handy too.