How to get task scheduler to open stuff on top?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I use task manager at work to popup reminders for things that happen every day, as I don't want to flood my outlook calendar just for reminders. I just open a basic note pad file that has a number I have to call so it saves me from having to look it up each time.

Problem is, at some point, this task started to open the notepad file UNDER other applications, so I miss it. Is there a way to force it to open on top? I looked and there does not seem to be an option in task scheduler to specify this. There is also an option to simply display a message, but that opens under other applications too. I need it to open on top.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I just tested it (Windows 7 Pro) and it always opens notepad on top for me. A couple of ideas:

* Try another text editor, like notepad++, or any other program that can display a text file, such a browser.

"C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --new-window file://C:\tasks\CallMom.txt

* Try using cmd.exe to call notepad.

cmd.exe /c notepad.exe C:\tasks\CallMom.txt

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I use task manager at work to popup reminders for things that happen every day, as I don't want to flood my outlook calendar just for reminders. I just open a basic note pad file that has a number I have to call so it saves me from having to look it up each time.

??? Outlook works fine for this...

New Task, Repeat every day...

It doesn't show on your calendar, it is a separate "Task" list.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The problem with Outlook is now you have an item in your calendar for every single day. Its just annoying. Visually I just like to see my calendar empty except for when there are actual real appointments.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
The problem with Outlook is now you have an item in your calendar for every single day. Its just annoying. Visually I just like to see my calendar empty except for when there are actual real appointments.

No, the tasks are a separate list, they do not show on the calendar. This is latest outlook, if you have older outlook maybe it is not.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
No, the tasks are a separate list, they do not show on the calendar. This is latest outlook, if you have older outlook maybe it is not.

Hmm never seen that, I'll have to check when I'm at work. I think we're on the new Outlook, got upgraded a while back. Outlook 2010 or something like that.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Trying to avoid 3rd party apps. Any time we install something 3rd party it raises all sorts of red flags. Was thinking maybe there was just a simple setting somewhere that I missed.

Though I'm starting to think... it does not need to be on the computer, it could be on my phone. Any time I have to take medication or something I kinda think the same thing, I need a reminder, but I hate filling my calendar with an item every single day. Any good android apps that would do what I want? I'm sure I'll find a ton if I search but wondering if anyone has personal experience with any that they can personally recommend, as there's lot of junk and spyware to sift through when searching.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Yeah. Why not just set an alarm on your smartphone's Alarm/Clock APPs? :)

No need to fill Calendar with events.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Clock would be a bit obnoxious, I just need something automated that pops up a little message, without filling calendar. I figured this would be simple enough. I reverted back to notepad in task schedular at least the window is big enough that I still see it as it "sticks out" from under the other windows. You would just think there'd be a way to tell it to actually go on top.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
A little vbscript would probably work.
Code:
Set shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
msg = FormatDateTime(Now(), vbLongTime)
If WScript.arguments.Unnamed.Count Then
    msg = msg + vbCrLf + vbCrLf + WScript.Arguments.Unnamed(0)
End If
shell.Popup(msg)

Call it in task scheduler with:
Code:
wscript C:\myscript.vbs "Take your pills"

Last edited: