How to get stains off knife?

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
I went fishing for a week, bought a folding knife while I was there, but after a couple of days I noticed it had developed little brown marks almost like tea makes on a wooden table. It's quite a nice knife, not stainless, good high carbon steel.

Ay ideas on removing these? I've tried detergent, white spirit, acetone, and elbow grease with no noticable effect...

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
lol ok, I'm pretty sure it's fish guts or something, but you can never discount the multiple personality murder theory...

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
i new piece of emery cloth and some light mineral oil will get that off. be prepared to repolish it afterwards, it takes that "factory sheen" off the steel. those are water spots (aka rust) on the blade. take care of them before they spread. next time dry off the knife completely before sheathing it.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: K1052
try denatured alcohol

Tried it.

Originally posted by: hanoverphist
i new piece of emery cloth and some light mineral oil will get that off. be prepared to repolish it afterwards, it takes that "factory sheen" off the steel. those are water spots (aka rust) on the blade. take care of them before they spread. next time dry off the knife completely before sheathing it.

Doesn't really look like rust, but it did spend a bit of time in the sea water... ok I'll give it a try. Thanks.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Atheus
Originally posted by: K1052
try denatured alcohol

Tried it.

Doesn't really look like rust, but it did spend a bit of time in the sea water... ok I'll give it a try. Thanks.

hanoverpriest is right then

HammerCurl

Apr 3, 2007
Some homemaker laundry sites recommend peroxide to get blood out of clothes. If you need to clean some bloody clothes too :thumbsup:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Yeah, that should work. I Usually just use steel wool. Put gun oil on afterward.

Fern

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
High carbon steel will do that. It's called a patina I believe. It'll eventually get like that again. It's not bad for the knife.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

i used metal polish when my spyderco harpy was stained, as a side effect it made it gave more shine also.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
ya, ole No.7 will work great too. but any abrasives will dull the blade finish. the emery and oil was the easiest to do with crap a lot of people have on hand. and while patinas wont hurt the blade, they sure dont look cool on a nice knife.