exxoid

May 23, 2007
www.techiefix.net
Hi,

I have a AMD Radeon HD 6800 graphics card, it has the following ports:

2x DVI Ports
1x HDMI Port
2x Mini Display Ports

I currently have my two 24" LCDs plugged into the 2 DVI ports.

What I was looking to do is also add my HDTV as a 3rd display (this is the eyefinity technology from what I understand, enabling triple display?).

I tried to plug my TV's HDMI cable into the HDMI port on my GFX however using the Catalyst Control Center it picks up the TV but only allows 2 devices to be enabled at any given time.

I did some searching online and it appears that to make 3 displays I need to make use of the Mini DisplayPort and for this I would need a converter.

Now my question/confusion..

Do I need a Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Converter or can it be passive? Or must it be ACTIVE as I already have two DVI ports in use?

Here is what I was looking at getting..
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...e973d9473449441635b6b5cen02&SearchPageIndex=1

Using this, will I also get audio over the HDMI cable?

Thanks for your help.

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
The displayport adapter should be active, but keep in mind active adapters can be single or dual link. The single-link will be useful for your 1080p TV, and also a monitor such as 1920x1200. But not higher than that. If you want super high resolution support, such as 1440p or 1600p, then you will need an active dual-link.

I don't think many devices support audio over displayport, but it technically could carry audio. However, it would probably be easier for you to use the HDMI port for the TV with audio, and then use DVI for one monitor and displayport for the other.

Another question is whether your motherboard has its own separate video output? If so, you may be able to use your current setup already, just make sure your current video card and the motherboard video card are outputting, and connect 2 displays to one and 1 display to the other, so you wouldn't need any additional displayport adapter.

exxoid

May 23, 2007
www.techiefix.net
Thanks for the responses...

My TV is a HDTV 46", so probably best to use the HDMI port for the TV so I can get sound as well.

Just so that I understand... I can do..

HDMI (for my TV, Samsung LN46C630K1F), use one of the DVI outputs for 1 LCDand DP-to-DVI Active for 2nd LCD and have 3 displays running at once?

It seems easier to find a miniDP to DVI adapter than it is to find a MiniDP to HDMI converter by the looks of it, probably better to also use the HDMI-out on my GFX for the TV for sound?

Thanks.

Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Yes, I think that StarTech would work. I like how it has good and many reviews. The earlier white mac-specific adapter never actually stated that it was an active adapter, but the StarTech does say it's active.

I think your understanding is perfect for using the ports.

Also, you can use the Windows keyboard shortcut win+p to toggle between different display configurations (extended, main only, etc.) if you want to quickly power-off or power up any displays. To get the most flexibility, you may find yourself swapping cables, but usually you can accomplish what you want by specifying which display is located where and arrange them in display setup under windows. I pretty much arrange my 3 displays that way using windows, and rarely use the AMD control panel except when I want to mess around with eyefinity gaming. But for just displaying movies and internet/desktop, you may find it's more intuitive and easy to use the Windows display controls and the win+p keyboard shortcut. Myself, I usually just have the middle (main) display active, then I hit win+p to activate extended mode, which turns on the side monitors for all 3. When I'm done editing photos/watching movies or whatever, then I'll hit win+p again to toggle to single display only and the side monitors auto-shutoff. The nice thing is that when I just have one monitor active, it saves power and heat not only by keeping monitors off, but also by letting the graphics card slow itself down to idle memory and core speeds, so my PC stays cool and quiet.