How to get dealers to lower Internet price??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sohaltang

Apr 13, 2013
Been in the market for a used prius. Looking at several 2010 model 2 certified with about 40k. Seems every dealer has these as lease returns (199$ a month 3 yesr 36k special Toyota always runs). Problem is not one single dealer will budge on the Internet price. Base models are 18k, with Navigation and leather 20k. Several dealors have told me the Internet price is the best price and "not a penny less". Of course I walk out. For sure don't want to pay full price. I did get one dealer to offer me 24300 walkout on a brand new model 2. What am I doing wrong? Tips?

Also should see some 2011 models hitting the market in the next 45 days as the first of those 3 year lease start to expire.

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The cars are probably easy to sell at those prices and so they don't need to negotiate.

ussfletcher

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
AFAIK the internet price is typically a price just above invoice with all of the manufacturer rebates applied (for a new car at least), this price is far below the ACTUAL price of the car.

Wonderful Pork

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2005
I just bought a used car this past weekend that was a lease as well. They did everything they could to hold the internet price (which, admittedly was several thousand below the window price) but check the Edmunds True Market Value and Black Book for both Average Retail and Clean Retail ratings and offer them whats fair (which should include miles, color & location).

If its a pristine car, etc then paying clean retail is a fair price - you might be able to shave off a couple hundred somewhere else but I found my time & gas was worth more than that. I got my car for Average Retail, almost to the dollar. It was internet priced $300 more than that just for reference, there was some paint damage that I asked them to fix or I dropped the price so I could fix it at zero net cost. They opted for the latter.

kitatech

Jan 7, 2013
It's about market demand.
If you get lucky...you might find one that hasn't sold and the dealer wants to unload...check carfax to see how long the car's been on the sale's lot.

May 13, 2009
It always depends on the vehicle and demand as others have said. Why lower the price when they can wait a week and get full asking price?

Sohaltang

Apr 13, 2013
With that said, is it even worth looking at a used one? At 18K with taxes its about 19.5K, maybe more with fees. 5K more and its brand new drive off. The 2014 is about to come out and the 2010 came out in July of 09. Guess it boils downs to is 5K worth 4 years of use and 40K miles?

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
In my (limited) experience the dealer's internet price is very aggressive and easy to sell at, so they don't need or want to negotiate. It's also (generally) a very good deal with little or no effort to haggle on your part. It is usually a win-win.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
They know you're going to go on autotrader or another site, pick the model/year you want, and sort by price, and if their car isn't near the top, it isn't going to get looked at. The internet price is usually pretty much as low as they're willing to go and is usually considerably lower than the sticker price. You might still be able to negotiate on other things like finance rate.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I don't think 2014 matters much since its not a redesign year. Given the high demand of the Prius I would probably opt for the new one. $5k savings for a 3-4 year old car doesn't sound like much to me.

Sohaltang

Apr 13, 2013
I don't think 2014 matters much since its not a redesign year. Given the high demand of the Prius I would probably opt for the new one. $5k savings for a 3-4 year old car doesn't sound like much to me.

Yeah. That is what Im thinking. If these prices hold in 4 years when its paid off it would have a retail value of 18K. 6000$ over 48 months is 125$ a month of depreciation. Everyone keeps telling me to get at least 10% off the online price but I don't see it happening.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Out of the box thinking - check those lease buyout sites and see if you can find someone who will sell outright from their lease. Buyouts on current lease deals are around $15,200. I'd assume that a 2011 would be similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.