How to get a new website design without paying moola

Thoreau

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2003
First off, apologies to those who responded age ago for a thread where I was looking for a logo for this website, and never really followed through with it. This time, we mean it!

Anywho, my website is getting a bit long in the tooth and needs a new facelift. Some of you may have already been unfortunate enough to see the site in it's current state. Basically, just need something that makes navigation simple, looks cool and 'game'ish, and costs zero $. (MORE than willing to place appropriate credits and linkbacks to the designer(s) =)

I hate throwing stuff like this out there, but we really wanna throw a big event this year, and need to have a website that fits the bill. Since these LAN parties don't generate any profit (and more often than not put my Amex card closer and closer to the red line) I'm hoping that some generous soul among the ATOT community might find it in their heart to help the gaming community a bit =)

Current site is in my sig below...

Any ideas, critiques, or thoughts on either the current site or possible ideas fora new one would be very much appreciated.

Edit: Don't need the backend code, just the gui. I've got a peon to do the back end coding and everything, he's just about as crappy at web design as i am.

Thoreau

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by: FleshLight
Not bad for editing a free photoshop template :)

TECHNICALLY I don't think it was free either. Hence why I wanna drop it and go with something that isn't gonna anger the original designer. I think we did a halfway decent job modding it, but it just doesn't seem right, especially when we try to add more things to the site. The design just doesn't really match what we're doing.

Thoreau

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by: KLin
create new website yourself. Instant savings!!!!!11

If I had more talent and creativity than a blank sheet of paper I'd give it a shot, but alas, I'm among the graphically challenged.

Thoreau

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
BAN HIM!

Sorry, have't said that in a few weeks.

*sets timer to kill your hosting account just as your site goes live with its new plans* =)

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Thoreau
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
BAN HIM!

Sorry, have't said that in a few weeks.

*sets timer to kill your hosting account just as your site goes live with its new plans* =)

*posts server IP on popular warez board that I know a lot of people on*

FleshLight

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2004
Nobody willing to help a poor gamer out?

It would take at least 2 hours, excluding graphics, to set up the database, code, integrate, etc for a site like that. I'd be willing to design a logo for a copy of UT2004 :).

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
If you would have gotten me a few months ago I may have been able to help. No time now. :(

Thoreau

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by: FleshLight
Nobody willing to help a poor gamer out?

It would take at least 2 hours, excluding graphics, to set up the database, code, integrate, etc for a site like that. I'd be willing to design a logo for a copy of UT2004 :).

Don't need the backend code, just the gui. I've got a peon to do the back end coding and everything, he's just about as crappy at web design as i am.

Don't know what we can do for any type of games or other rewards, that all depends on how sponsorship turns out at each event. Granted, I am the self-proclaimed God of lan party sponsor gathering, so i don't doubt that we could get *something* for anyone willing to give us a hand. Just didn't want to make any promises that weren't guaranteed.

Thoreau

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2003
Seems like all the designs being showcased on the WHT forums are ones that are for sale, ie: moola to be transferred. As much as hosting is already costing us (getting better though each time we take on a new site) and as much as the events themselves cost, it would just be one more thing to push us farther into the hole. Since 99.999999% of the money for this stuff comes outta my pocket as is, that's something i'm hoping to avoid.

Still hunting through though.