How to fully remove entourage after installing office?

Sep 7, 2009
Alright.. I installed office for mac and connected entourage to my exchange account (wasn't aware of how it would hassle me with calendar reminders and etc..)

I uninstalled office to get rid of entourage and reinstalled, but my exchange account was still connected through office reminders. I disabled everything I could find, but I still don't like that my exchange account (and obviously all calendar info) is still stored somewhere.

I also saw the microsoft database junk is setup to automatically run at logon... Arg...

Is there a way to remove my exchange and calendar info without restoring the computer?

Kmax82

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2002
www.kennonbickhart.com
As far as I know.. all of your Exchange info is hosted in /Users/username/Documents/Microsoft User Data.

So if you have uninstalled Entourage:
- Delete that folder
- Remove startup item via Sys Prefs/Accounts/Login
- Remove any office based folders from /Library/Application Support

And then restart. You should be good.

Also, what do you mean by "my exchange account was still connected through office reminders". Are you looking at the Exchange server on a server level? Or do you still get reminders through iCal? If so, you can delete the Exchange calendar in iCal. I think by default it sets itself up to sync your Exchange data to Address Book and iCal.

Sep 7, 2009
As far as I know.. all of your Exchange info is hosted in /Users/username/Documents/Microsoft User Data.

So if you have uninstalled Entourage:
- Delete that folder
- Remove startup item via Sys Prefs/Accounts/Login
- Remove any office based folders from /Library/Application Support

And then restart. You should be good.

Also, what do you mean by "my exchange account was still connected through office reminders". Are you looking at the Exchange server on a server level? Or do you still get reminders through iCal? If so, you can delete the Exchange calendar in iCal. I think by default it sets itself up to sync your Exchange data to Address Book and iCal.

I installed office, realized that I don't want entourage on my system nor did I want to be connected to the exchange server. I couldn't find a way to just remove entourage, it seems as though the only way is uninstall office and reinstall without entourage.

I uninstalled and reinstalled without entourage (and any other 'reminder' type souding things.. Only Word, Excel, Powerpoint.)

Then the next time I opened Word the office reminder thing popped up with reminders (very annoying..).. I really didn't look to see if they were new (i.e. still connected to exchange..)

I don't like seeing all of these 'old' entourage and other MS stuff in my documents folder. I'm really thinking about reinstalling osx, I'm a bit OCD about residual crap like this.

Kmax82

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2002
www.kennonbickhart.com
I installed office, realized that I don't want entourage on my system nor did I want to be connected to the exchange server. I couldn't find a way to just remove entourage, it seems as though the only way is uninstall office and reinstall without entourage.

I uninstalled and reinstalled without entourage (and any other 'reminder' type souding things.. Only Word, Excel, Powerpoint.)

Then the next time I opened Word the office reminder thing popped up with reminders (very annoying..).. I really didn't look to see if they were new (i.e. still connected to exchange..)

I don't like seeing all of these 'old' entourage and other MS stuff in my documents folder. I'm really thinking about reinstalling osx, I'm a bit OCD about residual crap like this.

Well, I would try to uninstall Office '08 again (via the Uninstaller).. and then look for anything left over before you reinstall without Entourage. Check Library/Application Support, and the Documents/Microsoft User Data, etc.. and make sure all of that is gone. If not, then delete it.. then try and reinstall.

I'm kinda OCD about that stuff as well.. but I find it matters less with performance and more with just a mindset. So if I can clean it out well enough, then a reinstall isn't really worth the hassle.

You can also just do global search via Spotlight to make sure you got all your excess erased.