How to force fanspeed under minimum?

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I have tried AMD catalyst, MSI afterburner and Fanspeed, but it wont go under 20%

Its a Club 3d Royal King joker series 7850, and the fan is running at 1120 RPM at min with about 30 degrees and i dont care if its 80. Its absolutely not a noisy card, some would say near silent, but i have a very silent setup and high demands.

(as reference i think the stock Intel cooler for the 3570 is absolutely awfull even at idle)

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
You need BIOS modification if I recall right. 30% or so is minimum.

(I find the stock cooler very silent, remember to use fanspeed control too there so it throttles down to 1100rpm or so.)

Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Another option is to get a "quiet fan adapter" thingy (I don't recall the exact name).

Essentially it's a very short fan "extension" cord with a resistor, that has the effect of reducing fan speeds across the board.

So, you could get very very silent even when the video card is telling the fan to spin at 20%, because the adapter reduces the final speed at the fan to say 10%. But, similarly, it would reduce the max speed of the fan as well.

Here is an example:
ZM-RC56-1.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ZALMAN-ZM-RC56-Fan-RPM-Down-Silent-Connector-Resistor-Cable-in-Silent-Mode-/160840684772?pt=US_Computer_Case_Accessories_Tool_Kits&hash=item2572da14e4

So you can find those for any type of fan connection. Also, you can do what I did and just buy the very cheapest adapter you can find even if it doesn't fit your particular fan, then cut out the resistor from that adapter and insert it inline in your fan connector. Or cannibalize another extension for your fan to insert the resistor in there, and use that.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Thanx i thought i had to solder a power resistor in myself, but i will take the easy solution :)

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Minimum fan speed is a safety measure, and it has to be kept above certain threshold(usually 20,30, or 40%) because you need particular power impulse to overcome fan friction to get the fans spinning.

Taking this to extreme to get a better picture:

Setting fan at 0.1% fan speed, the net result would not be 0.1% RPM - but no rotation at all.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Minimum fan speed is a safety measure, and it has to be kept above certain threshold(usually 20,30, or 40%) because you need particular power impulse to overcome fan friction to get the fans spinning.

Taking this to extreme to get a better picture:

Setting fan at 0.1% fan speed, the net result would not be 0.1% RPM - but no rotation at all.

Yeaa i have observed that. Good point, but i think i can get under 20%. It would be good with a solution to tune it like Zalman FAN Mate 2 - what do you think?

Edit: when the computer starts with what sounds like 50% fan speed, thereby taking care of the threshold imho

Last edited:

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Edit: Ahh its 4 pin, pwm controlled. Anyway to handle that?

Last edited: