How to fix a majority of our problems with politics. End gerrymandering

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
by all means, create a thread and we can do so there.

I think BBS should make a thread about moronic Russian schills and their impact (or lack thereof) on political forums after they've made complete fools of themselves.

/thread hijack ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Make districts more competitive. No more selecting voters, guaranteed seats. It will result in less extremism and make representative more answerable to the people of this country.

District borders would use county borders. The new lines would be assigned to a commission in each state granted extra authority. Statistical algorithms can be used for the new lines.

It has to be a national effort.

Your thoughts.
Homer, this has always been a major problem, so we have to find a road to a solution. In some ways, courts have ruled against gerrymandering efforts. The Chuckleheads will oppose it and insist that it can be manipulated, but I think the problem should be turned over to a computer with certain parameters set -- merely as an advisory tool for governmental bodies which engage in re-districting.

The other problem is the role of money in politics. Warren Buffet says that he always gives a maximum of $10,000 to Democratic and progressive causes, because "those are the rules, and he wants to follow the rules."

THEREFORE. We must revise the FEC laws and regulations and enforce them to the hilt, just for starters. Dark Money PACs should not be able to amass tens or hundreds of millions to engage in special-interest campaign meddling. There should also be full disclosure of donors above some threshold between $200 and $1000. PAC Treasurers should not be allowed to subvert it because they have their own cornpone shitass views about "privacy" and politics. Everyone should be able to know immediately from where donations originate. You should be able to vote against someone else's self-interest, and the GOP gets a lot of Clutter-Brains -- many one-issue voters -- to support the insidious influence of concentrated industries and well-heeled special interests.

Since "they" took it upon themselves to overturn a long-standing court-decision on abortion; to stack the supreme court and deny Obama his Garland appointment; to engage in political dialogue without regard to the Truth; to elect a life-long criminal as president -- then -- they have made this a fight to the finish.

The GOP needs to be totally defeated once and for all. Gerrymandering should be eliminated. Large political contributions over a certain threshold should be either reported, or over another threshold -- denied.

That's the only way to restore human progress. People need to wake up, get off the fence, and understand they are either pawns or players, and that what they've taken for granted for so long -- if only since the days of the Civil Rights Movement -- is in grave jeopardy.

Some people who "think they're rich" and should support the GOP need to think again. They're nobodies. They aren't going to suffer a shift to a Progressive agenda. Tax increases will roll of their backs like water on ducks. They don't need those AR-15s -- and that's another thing! They don't need to bother their little consciences about getting to heaven in frets over somebody else's little fetus, and what they've done in the last seven years should send them all to Hell anyway.

"Oh! The little fetuses! God's Law! God's Law, I say! It's not your body! It's God's body!" and "They're tryin'' to take away our guns! Pry them from our cold, dead hands!"

I've lost my patience with those people . . .

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Homer, this has always been a major problem, so we have to find a road to a solution. In some ways, courts have ruled against gerrymandering efforts. The Chuckleheads will oppose it and insist that it can be manipulated, but I think the problem should be turned over to a computer with certain parameters set -- merely as an advisory tool for governmental bodies which engage in re-districting.

The other problem is the role of money in politics. Warren Buffet says that he always gives a maximum of $10,000 to Democratic and progressive causes, because "those are the rules, and he wants to follow the rules."

THEREFORE. We must revise the FEC laws and regulations and enforce them to the hilt, just for starters. Dark Money PACs should not be able to amass tens or hundreds of millions to engage in special-interest campaign meddling. There should also be full disclosure of donors above some threshold between $200 and $1000. PAC Treasurers should not be allowed to subvert it because they have their own cornpone shitass views about "privacy" and politics. Everyone should be able to know immediately from where donations originate. You should be able to vote against someone else's self-interest, and the GOP gets a lot of Clutter-Brains -- many one-issue voters -- to support the insidious influence of concentrated industries and well-heeled special interests.

Since "they" took it upon themselves to overturn a long-standing court-decision on abortion; to stack the supreme court and deny Obama his Garland appointment; to engage in political dialogue without regard to the Truth; to elect a life-long criminal as president -- then -- they have made this a fight to the finish.

The GOP needs to be totally defeated once and for all. Gerrymandering should be eliminated. Large political contributions over a certain threshold should be either reported, or over another threshold -- denied.

That's the only way to restore human progress. People need to wake up, get off the fence, and understand they are either pawns or players, and that what they've taken for granted for so long -- if only since the days of the Civil Rights Movement -- is in grave jeopardy.

Some people who "think they're rich" and should support the GOP need to think again. They're nobodies. They aren't going to suffer a shift to a Progressive agenda. Tax increases will roll of their backs like water on ducks. They don't need those AR-15s -- and that's another thing! They don't need to bother their little consciences about getting to heaven in frets over somebody else's little fetus, and what they've done in the last seven years should send them all to Hell anyway.

"Oh! The little fetuses! God's Law! God's Law, I say! It's not your body! It's God's body!" and "They're tryin'' to take away our guns! Pry them from our cold, dead hands!"

I've lost my patience with those people . . .
You see what your conservative compatriots cannot. Do you know why? I have n idea why I do. My Mom told me to be honest. Did she ever regret that. Amway, in my opinion, the situation is hopeless. All we can do is howl at the moon. Truth is something people are ready for or are not. Truth and pain go together. Anyway the fact is, again in my opinion, only you can prevent forest fires. Only you will or will not see the truth. As the Germans in the trenches said in WW1. The situation is hopeless but not serious. No need to lose patience. No need to have any. The situation is what it is and you and only you can free yourself from it. Don't worry be happy. The sun that warms your skin feels to you like it would have to Christ like it did when you were a child and knew nothing about the insanity of the world like you do today. Relax and be happy. Ignorance is the state in which a person has no idea what they are missing and extracts its own instant price. Here comes the sun......

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yes yes yes!!! No more gerrymandering. That practice is anti-democratic.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
You're even a lousy troll.... arguing with you would be equivalent to debating with a 5 year old.
The all oppressing illegal immigrant. Typically works hard, pays their taxes somehow, has very little money but the life they give to their kids is better than back home, but also somehow has major amounts of power to control political outcomes. If Republicans are so damn smart and amazing why the hell do they need to gerrymander to succeed? Wouldn't they get even illegal to vote for them?

Sacre bleu!

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I realized something. In states that have a democrat governor but have republican majorities in their house and senate are definitely states that have been heavily gerrymandered. It's quite simple for republicans to gerrymander so that they remain in power election after election yet when it comes to electing the governor THAT republicans cannot gerrymander. Electing a governor comes down to who gets the most votes state wide. The popular vote. And yet.... we have a state or states where the majority of voters can be democrat and chose a democrat governor yet the house and senate are gerrymandered to the republicans. The will of the people IS NOT being served.

And I do believe this is why so many republicans like Keri Lake, who lose their election but then refuse to believe they really lost their election. people like Keri Lake have been fooling themselves. Lake actually believes just because her state has republican majorities in both their house and senate that there is no way a republican candidate for governor could possibly lose an election.
Kerri Lake, and those losers like her, fail to remember that republican majorities in the house and senate were faked via gerrymandering and not the legitimate WILL OF THE PEOPLE.

And again, when it comes down to that same state electing a democrat governor..... THAT vote republicans could not rig or gerrymander like they did the house and senate. Not yet that is.... but I will bet anything that those gerrymandered republican congresses are trying hard to figure a way to gerrymander the governorship as well. And republicans will probably come up with some sinister plot to achieve exactly that.

This means something.
It is proof that many republicans states have gained their majorities thru fraud and deception. And, should be means for voiding and tossing out those rigged fraudulent gerrymandered elections.
I'll say it again.... if a state has a republican majority in both house and senate, and yet has a democrat governor then you know something stinks. Something very illegal has taken place in those states. HOW do republicans get away with pulling this gerrymandering crap????
IT'S FRAUD PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
No US court should take more than five minutes to see the fraud and toss out these gerrymandered elections. All of them whomever the gerrymanderer.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The GOP has for quite some time realized that they are going to have to cheat the system any way they can in order to rule the nation from a minority party status of which is the ONLY way they can do it because their agenda is full of wholly unpopular social issues while totally bashing away at the social issues that ARE popular with the majority of the nation, of whom rejected their narcissistic orange tinted crime boss in favor of Biden for their leader.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Increasing the number of representatives to at least double what they are now would help to alleviate a lot of this gerrymandering BS. Just saying. Eliminating our House of Lords would be even better.