Question How to fit full length 16X Nvidia T-600 into a 4X Slot ?

dan99t

Nov 29, 2011
Hi,
I am buying a New Dell workstation 3660 . Dell will install two Nvidia T-600 graphics cards which will run 8 monitors.

I have 12 Monitors ( 1920x1200 Resolution )

Now there is only one 4X slot left where another 16X card will not fit which can run 4 leftover monitors.

Is there a way to run 3rd full length 16X graphics card Nvidia T-600 which will run 4 more monitors ?

This workstation does have latest USB 3.2 Type C ports & two Display Ports.

Can I use a 4X to 16X Riser card & place 3rd graphics card there ? Would the bandwidth be enough from 4X slot ?

Has anyone tried anything that works ?

Any other ideas ?

Thank You

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I don't see how Dell is going to pre-install two T600s in that chassis. They list that it only supports a single GPU, much less three.

These are the PCIe ports it has from their tech specs:
1 full-height Gen5 PCIe x16 slot
1 full-height Gen3 PCIe x4 slot
1 full-height Gen 4 PCIe x4 slot

The US site doesn't even list a T600 for that chassis. They show Intel, an nVida T1000, an A2000, and a Radeon WX 3200.

Are you sure its a 3660 you are getting? Its a pretty small (and old) chassis. There just isn't room for more than one GPU. A bigger chassis like the 7920 does support two GPUs (but also not 3).

dan99t

Nov 29, 2011
Are you sure its a 3660 you are getting? Its a pretty small (and old) chassis. There just isn't room for more than one GPU. A bigger chassis like the 7920 does support two GPUs (but also not 3).

I am sure it is Dell Precision 3660 workstation & the latest 2022 model. Dell site allows you to configure 2 GPUs. They used to have T-600 but may be ran out of it so now little higher price are T-1000 OR AMD WX-3200

I searched & searched but can't find 3660's motherboard photo. Dell is not giving much necessary info on this model. I would appreciate if anyone can find out more on this model.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
If you want a more complicated system, I highly suggest building the system yourself (or get smaller PC builder to do it, that builds to order). Dell is not going to be offer you a nice solution and they'll charge you too much for an inferior one.

Also, Dell has a reputation for putting proprietary parts in their system, so you can't easily upgrade parts.

The ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE motherboard seems to work the best with three GPU's. This motherboard can be configured to have three PCI Express 4.0 x8 slots, which should work great. It has nice spacing between the slots, so you can not limited to 1 slot cards. You can pair that motherboard with a nice Ryzen processor. You only seem to want to use the GPU's for driving the monitors, so I would just get 2 or 3 6600's or 3060's. Then depending on your needs you can put a faster GPU in the main PCIe slot. I see no reason to get these overpriced T1000/T600 cards.

Last edited:

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
It looks like it has from top to bottom a 4x slot, 16x slot & another 4x slot but the bottom slot is open ended while the top slot is not. You can use a x4 to x16 riser with a low profile card or cut the slot and void the warranty.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I don't see where you can (readily) install 3 GPUs in a 3660, or even 2. The motherboard isn't readily designed to support it. If you want an out-of-the-box ready Dell Workstation, you need to move up to the (older) 5820 Workstation with Xeon W. That's several generations old by now in CPU, but it has the Power Supply and PCIe connectivity to add 3 single slot GPUs to the system.

If you are just doing this for display wall or massive monitor support, you can get away with using 4x slots as long as they're open ended. If they aren't open ended, you'd have to cut them, and that's certainly risky. A workstation system will have the slots you need, but Intel's workstation offerings are several generations old.

As already mentioned, building it yourself, or getting a boutique builder should get you access to more eccentric motherboard options with more desirable connectivity.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
each of them uses 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes

They support up to 16 lanes. But any mobo with two 16x slots, will split that up so that each device gets 8 lanes each.

I am sure it is Dell Precision 3660 workstation & the latest 2022 model. Dell site allows you to configure 2 GPUs. They used to have T-600 but may be ran out of it so now little higher price are T-1000 OR AMD WX-3200

I searched & searched but can't find 3660's motherboard photo. Dell is not giving much necessary info on this model. I would appreciate if anyone can find out more on this model.

The 3660 can only be configured with a single GPU.

Here is a photo of the inside. Its a relatively small case. Even a single GPU is a very tight fit:
1653709925888.png

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
They support up to 16 lanes. But any mobo with two 16x slots, will split that up so that each device gets 8 lanes each.

Here is a photo of the inside. Its a relatively small case. Even a single GPU is a very tight fit:
View attachment 62232

Yeah but you need x16 slots and he is looking at 4 of them. Even at 8x it's 32 pcie lanes.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Yeah but you need x16 slots and he is looking at 4 of them. Even at 8x it's 32 pcie lanes.

Yeah, but if he is only using them to run monitors, 4x would be fine.

But the chassis he is choosing is certainly not an option. He needs a full tower.

dan99t

Nov 29, 2011
It looks like it has from top to bottom a 4x slot, 16x slot & another 4x slot but the bottom slot is open ended while the top slot is not. You can use a x4 to x16 riser with a low profile card or cut the slot and void the warranty.
Where do you see above card arrangement ? Do you have a photo of motherboard ? Please post it. From all their info on web all I see is a bloody jungle.

dan99t

Nov 29, 2011

Here is ther configuration choice for all GPUs they offfer & clearly show you can choose Dual GPUs.

GPU Configuration.png

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Where do you see above card arrangement ? Do you have a photo of motherboard ? Please post it. From all their info on web all I see is a bloody jungle.

Under the Features Section there is a blowout shot of the system and you can see 3x PCIe slots, white at the bottom which is open ended (1 slot width), the 16x in the middle (2 slot width) and another 4x but closed above that (1 slot width). The side on shot covering cooling a little lower down shows the top 4x slot as closed, hence a riser for that slot.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Yeah you need 3 x16 slots.

You actually only -need- a PCIe x1 (regardless of generation) slot to add a graphics card. If you don't care about performance, but just need to put something on a monitor.

Has to be a low profile card, or you can run into spacing issues:

https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/pex1to162

I'd be a little weary too of mounting a full-on 75W card in it too. PCIe x1 slots are only rated for 25W.

Zotac made some PCIe x1 cards too (newest in link), but I don't think you can find them for sale except used anymore:

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/geforce®-gt-710-1gb-pcie-x-1

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
You actually only -need- a PCIe x1 (regardless of generation) slot to add a graphics card. If you don't care about performance, but just need to put something on a monitor.

Has to be a low profile card, or you can run into spacing issues:

https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/pex1to162

I'd be a little weary too of mounting a full-on 75W card in it too. PCIe x1 slots are only rated for 25W.

Zotac made some PCIe x1 cards too (newest in link), but I don't think you can find them for sale except used anymore:

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/geforce®-gt-710-1gb-pcie-x-1

No offense, but this is exactly the kind of horrible rabbit hole that you get into by getting a system that is not fit for purpose. That card only has one HDMI output, so you'd need to use a DVI and VGA adapter to use the other ports (which would probably result in issues). Except it still wouldn't work since the card only supports 2560x1600, so the combined pixels of the three monitors will exceed what the card can do.

Don't get in the hole in the first place, that you then have to try to dig yourself out of! Get a big case, get a motherboard with three full length PCIe slots with good spacing and get 3 solid GPUs that can drive lots of pixels and have 3-4 modern output ports.

Then you'll have a clean system that will just work and can be upgraded in the future.

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
No offense, but this is exactly the kind of horrible rabbit hole that you get into by getting a system that is not fit for purpose.

No offence, but getting a "system fit for purpose" isn't always possible due to other constraints imposed. Not everyone can -just- have a big tower case around. Especially in a professional setting.

As for rabbit hole, you are aware that adaptor would work just fine with a T400/600 or similar AMD card? They're pretty low power after all.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
FYI I run T400 in a 16x physical slot that is only wired for 4 lanes just fine. Lanes is not an issue, it's the physical factor limitation. That is the reason I chose motherboard with full length 16x slots even though they're only 4x electrical lanes.

You could probably do with a 4x to 16x riser if you can find one, but I'm sure the case doesn't allow for vertical GPU mount so riser won't help you.

Your best option is to ditch dell and go custom case if you need 12 displays. Buy a nice full ATX case such as Fractal Define 7 Compact, get an ATX motherboard with 3 full length 16x slots and you're set.

dr1337

May 25, 2020
Not everyone can -just- have a big tower case around. Especially in a professional setting.
While this is true and all, I do question the setting in which OP is driving 12 1920x1200 monitors all at once. At that point it becomes more reasonable to just have more computers, or to get a proper GPU with many outputs designed for digital signage. Should OP be trying to drive a video wall or something then they should just be getting an external video processor that already has the outputs and functionality they need.

And when it comes to lower resolution monitors like that, there is a point where I thinks its a lot better to replace 4x1200p screens with 1 4k panel. Sure you lose some aspect ratio but you gain 3 more outputs that you didn't have before as well as ditching many bezels. I do believe it should be possible to make the 12 monitor setup work with that dell box, but it will take effort and is definitely not going to be ideal in any sense.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
No offence, but getting a "system fit for purpose" isn't always possible due to other constraints imposed. Not everyone can -just- have a big tower case around. Especially in a professional setting.

The topicstarter has given no indication that they have any such constraints, so in the absence of that, I suggested something that fits within the constraints that they actually specified.

I have no idea why he picked a Dell workstation 3660. There are many wrong reasons for doing so and a few good reasons as well. Unless he actually has one of those good reasons, I would suggest cancelling that order and getting something more fit for purpose.