How to enable Fast writes & Side band in nVidia drivers 53.03?

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Because the lack of these features causes noticeable slowdowns when playing videos and Windows use. I got a SIS 645DX motherboard, and fast writes is disabled in BIOS and there is no option to enable it (ECS P4S5A/DX+ motherboard). However, maybe it's possible to enable it in drivers via regedit? I know the key to enable the hidden OC applet, and it works great. Now it would be great if I could turn on fast writes or at least side band addressing b/c my previous video card was slower than my current one (I went from Radeon 7000 to GeForce 4 MX 420), but I now get slowdown I didn't have before, especially when playing a video clip and trying to surf the net simultaneously, the sound is distorted whenever I try to scroll through pages. That never happened with my old Radeon (now I actually regret I exchanged it for a 420).

I mean, even though fast writes was disabled with my previous card, side band wasn't, and I had no performance issues. I think turning on side band which is disabled by default in nVidia driver would solve the issue.

Could you pls tell me which keys to add or link to where I can read about this?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Originally posted by: titananandtech
Get new drivers for your motherboard and maybe update the bios.

That wouldn't work, b/c it's disabled both in BIOS and drivers.

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
install this registry hack

a tab will then appear under AGP settings that will allow you to

Thanks a lot, it actually works. However, I can't change these settings (side band and fast writes), they're still disabled. Well, guess I give up then.