How to disable/remove car alarm?

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
So I'm out doing some work on the Landcrusier this afternoon. I notice that the battery terminals are lind of dirty & corroded. So I proceed to clean them, etc. I notice a loud chirp when I reconnect the positive terminal. WTF was that?

Anyway, I finish up, and go to start the car ... doesn't turn on, and a fvcking car alarm starts going off!?!? But I don't have a car alarm?? Well, apparently I do :Q

I bought this car used last spring, and never knew it had an alarm. No window stickers, key fobs, manuals, nothing. Never interfered with anything until I disconected the battery. Now, with my fingers in my ears :p, I approach the shrieking vehicle and find a device attached to the passenger side fender well where this ungodly noise is coming from. It says "The Uneo Box, from Techne".

Now a google search on Uneo Box brings up some kind of gay pron ... I don't even want to know. Further searching on Techne seams to indicate they were bought out by clarion a few years ago. I'm still working on it.

So, any suggestions on how to remove this damn thing? Or at least turn it off so I can start my car and not get lynched by the neighbors?

DanFungus

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
to disable the factory installed car alarm in my car, you have to put the key in and turn it from 0 -> 3 3 times and then it'll turn off. Try something like that..?

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: DanFungus
to disable the factory installed car alarm in my car, you have to put the key in and turn it from 0 -> 3 3 times and then it'll turn off. Try something like that..?

Well, I don't think it's factory installed, but I'll give it a try!
Thanks

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Well, I somehow got it turned off ... not sure how though. I had disconnected the - terminal on the battery so I wouldn't set it off again. Reconected it to try DanFungus's suggestion, and it was off. So, at least I can get to work tomorrow, but a more final solution is needed.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Yeah, just disconnect the wires from the control box. Or if you can find it, unhook the power wire for the alarm. The only problem might be if there is an ignition kill relay and they wired it to be open when the power is cut.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
my aftermarket alarm has a kill switch which I hid when i installed my alarm. look around for one.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Tiles2Tech
Are there wires connected to the device on the fender? If so, just disconnect them.

Well, that'll kill the noise at least. Then it will just silently refuse to start :)

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Armitage
Originally posted by: Tiles2Tech
Are there wires connected to the device on the fender? If so, just disconnect them.

Well, that'll kill the noise at least. Then it will just silently refuse to start :)

Assuming whoever installed it bothered to hook up the starter disable.

<-- has an Ungo alarm:p

EDIT: It is strange that the alarm went off like that though. Unless mine is armed, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery doesn't do anything. I'd look around for an override switch. Usually they're under the dash. If you can find it, hold the button and turn the ignition on. That should stop it.

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Yeah, I think you meant Ungo.

Frequently disconnecting / reconnecting the battery will make an alarm go off - not sure if it is "by design" or just because the alarm freaks out at the sudden power state change etc.

As far as dealing with it - you should be able to unplug / cut out the alarm "brain" - however that will leave you with one extra problem in that if the alarm has an ignition cut out, you might accidentally discconnect your ignition as well. If you have some decent car wiring experience, not hard to find said device (follow all the wires) and route around it, but if you don't - better to find a friend or local shop that has a clue.

Worst case, yank the brain (usually the harness has a disconnect on it, makes it easier to install) and see what happens. If the car refuses to start, put it back in and just live with it.