Question How to diagnose a GPU/PSU failure?

Alecinator

Aug 17, 2021
System:
CPU: Intel Core i5 6400 @ 2.70GHz
MOBO: Dell Inc. 0XJ8C4 (SOCKET 0)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
PSU: Corsair AX860i
GPU: (Now defunct) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0

This rig is about 5 years old now. I was playing No Man's Sky and attempting to remove a kitten from my desk when I suddenly lose my display. I check my TV and it seems fine, then I reboot my PC and when it turns on I think I hear an unknown electrical noise, though I am unsure if this is related. Still no display through my card so I put my HDMI into the rear I/O. Everything works fine except my GPU isn't connected. We try reseating it, nothing. We try putting it into my partner's PC, still dead. I'm convinced the GPU is dead, but is there a way to know if the PSU caused it or if it just died of old age? I also don't know if my PCIE slot is defunct since this proprietary board doesn't have indicator lights.

I can get a 1070ti from a friend to hold me over until I can build a new system, but I want to make sure it doesn't mysteriously die as well.

Any advice is appreciated.

P.S.: What do I do with this GPU?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Its very difficult to diagnose what killed what, because there are too many variables.
It could also be the dell motherboard you have that shorted it.

I see your running an AX860i, those are platinum raited psu, with lots and lots of digital voltage regulation.
Its a beast of a PSU, so i really am leaning to the GTX dying from just age and heat.
Pull out the modular cable and inspect them.
If it shorted, the connector could of melted, so visually inspect the connectors, both sides (GPU+PSU)
Infact pull all the modular cables out and visually inspect them, also give it a good sniff.
You will smell burnt plastic / rubber quite easily.

As for what do you do with dead PC Parts... i take them to staples and recycle them as e-waste.
Staples will take any PC part that needs recycling for free.

Reactions: BUTCH1

Alecinator

Aug 17, 2021
I appreciate the responses. My PSU and cables seem fine. I'm leaning towards something in the GPU just hitting its limit.
I think I'm going to just save up and build a new system at this point, if I can manage to get a new GPU.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Just had to replace a 13yr old Antec PSU last night, the system would hang and not boot into windows sometimes for 10 minutes, the entire USB hub was also getting wonky along with the occasional BSOD 1033 error. See if you can find someone to pop that bad boy into a PCIE slot on another rig and see what happens, that's still a pretty decent card and still fetch a pretty penny. Even though it looks like a dead card no way I'd just toss it in the trash without further testing.