how to determine P3 stepping w/o powering it on?

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000

I have two P3-1gig processors. I've had alot of problem with them and Win2k. I've tried everything to resolve the issues I'm having but nothing helped.

Now, I'm thinking that they might be of a different stepping... so much so that they're is an incompatiblity.

The problem is that the system they are in, is down.

I want to know how to check the stepping by either looking at the processor itself, or by looking at the label on the retail package.

The only difference I can see in on the package label is the FPO/BATCH and the pack date.

The information for the first processor is:
FPO/BATCH - Q108A272
Pack Date - 03/22/01

The information for the second processir is:
FPO/BATCH - Q112A279
Pack Date - 04/04/2001

Can anything be determined from this information?

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
if you've got the retail box then the stepping code is at the end of the product code string! :)

DrFunkenstein

Feb 28, 2002
But does the stepping for an MP system really matter? Do the S-Spec, CPUID, and Stepping codes need to be EXACT for both processors? Or do you just need to match the processor speed, FSB speed, and cache?

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000

<< But does the stepping for an MP system really matter? Do the S-Spec, CPUID, and Stepping codes need to be EXACT for both processors? Or do you just need to match the processor speed, FSB speed, and cache? >>

i dont think it has to be the same s-spec, but it at least has to be the same stepping, that's for sure. my friend had 2 x p3 1ghz, one was a cC0 and the other was a cD0, and he got nothing but problems. sold the cD0, got a cC0, and everything's peachy clean :)

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000

botrh of mine are cC0, which lends the view that the MB is a great big POS.