How to destroy the educational system of America?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
i think its the parents fault. i go to high school, and in almost every class 90% of the students dont care at all for learning. they are inconsiderate and rude to the teacher as well as other students. no kidding. if only their parents would do something about it.....

edit: not to mentiona INCREDIBLY ignorant. but then again, this is california, so what can i say?

i concur. i went to a california public highschool.. we had about 66% kids receiving free lunches, avg combined sat scored slightly below 1000, sent about 40% to 4-year instituations, only 90% seniors receiving diploma...

i turned out well... as did most of my friends.

motivation and encouragement starts in the household. we are expecting too much of the teachers... and not enough of the parents.

Mallow

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2001
Thanks everyone for your input. Great posts so far.

I agree with many of you that the reason the "no student left behind policy" and the holding teachers accountable for their students' scores can not work b/c students have no drive. This lack of drive, IMO, is dependent heavily on the home environment. Unfortunately the home environment is a huge problem that I doubt anyone can solve :(

Wanna make a law to ensure good home environments? sounds hard :( sounds impossible.

Any more responses?

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
Originally posted by: LS20
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
i think its the parents fault. i go to high school, and in almost every class 90% of the students dont care at all for learning. they are inconsiderate and rude to the teacher as well as other students. no kidding. if only their parents would do something about it.....

edit: not to mentiona INCREDIBLY ignorant. but then again, this is california, so what can i say?

i concur. i went to a california public highschool.. we had about 66% kids receiving free lunches, avg combined sat scored slightly below 1000, sent about 40% to 4-year instituations, only 90% seniors receiving diploma...

i turned out well... as did most of my friends.

motivation and encouragement starts in the household. we are expecting too much of the teachers... and not enough of the parents.

true. i dont think i can blame it all on parents, because ive seen horrible teachers and the terrible student environment- BUT i can say with certainty that most of my friends that come from good families and good households fare much much better (stay out of trouble) and value education far more than 90% of the people in school (they are more pleasant as well). those who come from families with parents who discipline their children are much more focused and actually care about their lives.

what makes it the worst is a combination of uncaring parents, and friends who negatively impact them. im turning out well, but it really is difficult learning amongst people who absolutely disregard education entirely and could care less for teachers/adults. all too often i see students snap back at teachers, play pranks on teachers simply because they asked them kindly to settle down. i think it was traditionally accepted that students respect and appreciate teachers, however, i now realize that its an ongoing struggle between them and the teachers are really starting to show signs of giving in to being disrespected by students. it sucks, because while ive had my share of really poor teachers, ive also had some very good ones who really wanted to help the students learn, only to be heartbroken by some of the things they do.