How to deal with discouraging people

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: Riprorin
alkemyst, you made that up, right?

nope totally true...the guy also had his father call his live-in girlfriend to tell her to move out. This guy is also always getting into threesomes when on one wants to go out with him, but when you do you have to listen to him bitch about you getting a girl and having to get him to take a cab home.

His father is also footing the bill of his $2500 per month manhattin apartment.

Å

shees this guy has serous mental issues. he had to have his father break up with his girlfriend for him? man thats just sad.

It's even sadder that he is 30 and his girlfriend was in her mid 30's, maybe even 40ish. His reason was that she was an alcoholic because she liked to go out to have some drinks Friday/Saturday night.

Å

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Originally posted by: dfi
Out of curiosity, what type of comments exactly?

dfi

tonight all that was available that was remotely clean food were tuna or eggsalad sandwiches,the sandwiches were made on that cheap,tasteless white bread but no biggie I simply scooped the salad onto a plate and tossed out the bread without comment.This led to a discussion of my being "eating disordered"
That is freakish. White bread does have some flavor...and you can feel free to call me freakish too, because I like white bread by itself with a glass of orange juice :) White bread is also tastey lightly toasted with margarine :p

a lot of the food you eat out is cheap and semi tasteless...it's a matter of wanting to drop $10 or so or $20 for lunch. That extra $10 brings a lot of spices and preparation to the table :).

It seems you are more the problem table guest than the 'diet watcher', we had a work associate we stopped bringing as it was embarrassing how he gave cooking and preparation instructions to the wait staff, most of the time asking to be able to come back to the kitchen (to be told it's illegal). He make this big 'schoolgirl' fuss once the food came claiming they used an 'animal' oil instead of the light 'whatever' oil he asked for, that his bread wasn't evenly toasted, and that the meats were cooked at 'mixed' temps (some well done some was rare?!?)...he'd then try to get his meal for free because he shouldn't have to pay for something that was not done his way. He brings up obscure brand names of things that even the pros haven't heard of or used and asks questions that the staff needs to run back and forth to answer (one of his greatest was type of flour sifter....one type was to chunky for his dessert)

We actually had a small reunion over the holidays when a few of us were all back in town. We went to a chinese place, that is pretty authentic...100% asian owned and operated + they are all primarily chinese speakers there that have trouble with english as it's a second language to them :)

Anyways here is the psycho and why I will absolutely never go out with him again no matter how my friends tell me they feel bad for him:

He gets to the restaurant late because he said he wanted to wear a 'special shirt' asians like and he needed to 'iron it up real tight'......meanwhile he set the time for this thing earlier than we planned (to get fresher food....after about 12 all the food has started to spoil and wilt
rolleye.gif
)

He is / always carries his own water supply....he was also eating something at the time he was walking in (which he stopped for on the way making him more late) and the hostess told him they don't allow food or water into the the restaurant....he throws a fit and throws the health bar or whatever the thing was in the trash and states 'I need to bring this water in, it's a special water my doctor told me I have to have....your water is probably from the tap and unfiltered or filtered with some wal-mart brand filter......he went on and on about this until the hostess said the water was ok'.

Heading to the table:
first thing is he asks for a totally different table, that was really no different than what we were getting already, I don't know if this kind of thing makes him feel important or what....but they gave us the other table.

the first thing once the waitress comes, he asks her "are you really chinese or does the restaurant have you just act it? he then said she looked more vietamese"

next: "what about the cooks, are they just a bunch of black people back there cooking chinese food at minimum wage? Are they wearing hair nets? I don't want black hair in my food [as opposed to white, spanish or asian hair being ok I guess]" (now at this point he was really loosing the waitress on the words and pissing us totally off, I made comments as well as others...we were all scanning the room for potential problems with 'black people', luckily there were none or they'd probably have been offended.)

then: "well I will have the honey chicken, even black people can cook honey chicken, I think that's all they eat mostly so they are probably used to cooking it....just let me see on of the pieces first, I like small chunks of chicken but not too small." (waitress was totally lost now, the rest of us were sort of giving each other that look where you can read each other's minds)

then he pulls his 'using someone else in the group as an example': 'Hey Chris (me) can tell you why black people can't cook asian food if you don't believe me, his wife is Japanese and told me black people always work in THESE kinds of places and ruin her food too, she says black people should work at KFC and chicken places like americans should work at steak places and orientals in chinese ones'......I replied, I can't tell you that, my wife never told me that either, I don't think she would tell you that either, for one black people are Americans as well and if you are referring to 'white' people cooking steaks I don't know...also orientals are not one people, all asian nationalities are very different...

I told him I only wanted to take an hour for lunch and since we got here at the time you told us, but were 30mins late for, I don't have much time really for this Restaurant Critic/Inspector game (I was pissed now as I have told him do not use me or my family as ammo for his insanity, esp insulting asian people I may run into outside and think I am a racist also). He defended himself saying that's not racist, certain races though are naturally better at things (hence by definition racist)..

anyways the waitress's brain is fried now, there is another waitress helping decypher this idiot's barrage of questions. They disappear and one comes back with a hair net (for him I think they thought he wanted one, he has long long curly black hair...that was actually funny, we all got hysterical and he got pissed off about it, made up for the crappy time we were having).....they also had one piece of raw chicken chunk for him to inspect (they handed it to him with chopsticks, he grabbed it with his fingers and began sizing it up)....he asked for it to be just a little bigger, but not too much bigger and gave basically measurements...

He then starts playing with his silverware with his raw chicken hands and then goes to reach for the fried noodles brought to the table....I mention 'dude, you just spent 15 mins playing health inspector here and then you were touching your silverware without washing your hands first....you just handled raw meat, chicken no less, don't stick your dirty hands into the noodles that we are sharing'.

Idiot takes his water bottle, dumps it in his hands and scrubs them over the table, shakes them off a bit....then with semi-wet hands takes a grabful of noodles....I gave up....at teh same time my soup came..

it went downhill from there.....

After that he called and asked me why didn't I back him up on the black cook thing, we could have got a better chef to prepare our lunch....I let him have it, he explained that's how they do it in New York City (where he is from), I replied no matter where they do what you do it's wrong, rude, and beyond stupidity, you take any pleasant situation we are involved in and turn it into a fvcking circus, make the staff feel like peons, and end up giving such complication instructions MY food gets messed up....he brought up Mad Cow and how we have to be safe....I told him YOU WERE HAVING FVCKING CHICKEN! we really haven't talked since then which is cool with me.

That is what you do not want to become. :)

Å

A.I wouldn't eat with him either
B.I know how to order healthy food in restuarants without making an ass of myself.
C.I can't understand why people are so hateful sometimes.