how to crack full disk encryption truecrypt

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
I google and all I come up with are programs that will unencrypt a file. I need something that will be-able to crack the whole drive/non system.
Thanks

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
To put it as nicely as possible. You can't. Just give up and wipe the drive.

If the password is lost, you have no reasonable hope of ever getting that data back.

(NSA not withstanding)

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
It is a password where I know all of the components just not which order that they occur so it should be possible.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
It is a password where I know all of the components just not which order that they occur so it should be possible.

If you're that confident that you know what the password is comprised of, but not the order, then I suggest trying every possible order/combination.

Other than that, you're not going to crack truecrypt unless you've got access to a vulnerability/exploit that has not yet been published/exposed.

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
In your case your best bet is to use a bruteforce approach but specify the characters and combinations of them that you think are in the password.
Other than that, it is not really possible.

Even the NSA would have to use a large amount of computing power to crack a password they did not know. For us with much less compute power than the NSA it is really a fools errand.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
In your case your best bet is to use a bruteforce approach but specify the characters and combinations of them that you think are in the password.
Other than that, it is not really possible.

Even the NSA would have to use a large amount of computing power to crack a password they did not know. For us with much less compute power than the NSA it is really a fools errand.

My NSA comment was really more about the rumors that the NSA had snuck a back door into truecrypt or public key encryption in general.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I have a program that will brute force a Truecrypt container, but that's just brute force. If you followed the recommended password length of at least 20 characters and use upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols there is no way in hell you're cracking it. Even the NSA would have a hell of a time let alone a cascade of ciphers.

There is another method that involves grabbing the password from memory using firewire, but the TC partition has to be mounted.

I'm wondering if you could use the brute force method since you know some of the variables of the password.

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
My NSA comment was really more about the rumors that the NSA had snuck a back door into truecrypt or public key encryption in general.
No problems.

I wasn't referring to your comment, either directly or indirectly. It was a neutral statement. Just highlighting the enormity[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]of the task :)

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
If you know enough about the password, you can use a scripting language to produce a text file (sometimes called a dictionary) that lists every possible password, there is probably a cracking app that can use that file to try every one in the list.

This should be significantly more efficient than a true brute force of every possible password but it depends on the complexity of your password. You should be looking at something like <number of characters in password> to the <number of possible characters> power. How big is that number? Multiply that by the amount of time to test each password, is that a reasonable amount of time to wait? Will the HDD even last that long? I dunno.