How to convince your gf to use FireFox?

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Every couple of weeks she says "ahhh... there's problems with my computer!" and my reponse is the same, run ad-aware and remove all the spyware. I put google bar on her comp but she still gets spyware some how.

I'm pretty sure if she uses firefox it'll probably help her avoid exploits, spyware, not to mention introduce her to tabbed browsing on her 800x600 screen. She says she's used to IE and won't switch :( I also tried to get her to use iTunes but she still sticks with WMP9.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
How to tell you're a huge nerd: Try to convince your girlfriend to switch web browsers.

Isn't there something a lot more fun you could be convincing her to do?

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: fivespeed5
I also tried to get her to use iTunes but she still sticks with WMP9.

There is your problem. After giving bad advice like that she probably doesn't trust you anymore.

opticalmace

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2003
Well, it doesn't matter if she uses IE & WMP9...

Just go over there and run AdAware for her. Show her what it finds.

neonerd

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2003
tell her to use it or you'll eat a llama....worked for my friend...
rolleye.gif

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Originally posted by: notfred
How to tell you're a huge nerd: Try to convince your girlfriend to switch web browsers.

how is that nerdy? I'm trying to save myself the frustation of fixing her computer every few weeks. Sometimes it takes more than ad-aware, like when her homepage got hijacked.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

how is that nerdy? I'm trying to save myself the frustation of fixing her computer every few weeks. Sometimes it takes more than ad-aware, like when her homepage got hijacked.

In that case, just say "I'm not fixing your computer anymore if you keep using IE".

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why don't you just tell her:

"Bitch, show Charlie Murphy your titties!!!" :D

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
In that case, just say "I'm not fixing your computer anymore if you keep using IE".

oh that'll really go over well. :(

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

You do you type out that "whipish!" sound that people make when they're insinuating that their friends are pussywhipped?

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Its just like convincing her to get into bed with you. Just gotta be a man, and take charge. ;)

That or install it when she is not around, and delete all shortcuts to IE.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000

You do you type out that "whipish!" sound that people make when they're insinuating that their friends are pussywhipped?

yeah, and I'm supposed to listen to advice from someone who's single? :D:beer:

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

yeah, and I'm supposed to listen to advice from someone who's single? :D:beer:

Hmm, well, my ex'es computer still works great.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Installing Spybot and running the immunity deal will make IE more resistant against a lot of those exploits and highjacks.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
Its just like convincing her to get into bed with you. Just gotta be a man, and take charge. ;)

Yeah, this sounds like the best solution. But in my experience, the people who won't switch from IE because they are "used to it" are the ones who can't somehow pull themselves to clicking anything but "the big e" on the screen. They are beyond hope. Just like a lot of AOL users I encounter. Not all of them, but a great many.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: NFS4
Why don't you just tell her:

"Bitch, show Charlie Murphy your titties!!!" :D
"ah, the milks gone bad!" :beer::D

if she's used to ie and you want her to have tab browsing plus cut down on pop-ups and such... myie2 homepage

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy

better yet just redirect the IE shortcuts to open firefox instead :D

OffTopic1

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
Every couple of weeks she says "ahhh... there's problems with my computer!" and my reponse is the same, run ad-aware and remove all the spyware. I put google bar on her comp but she still gets spyware some how.

I'm pretty sure if she uses firefox it'll probably help her avoid exploits, spyware, not to mention introduce her to tabbed browsing on her 800x600 screen. She says she's used to IE and won't switch :( I also tried to get her to use iTunes but she still sticks with WMP9.
Tell her that the computer was infected by virus & the only cure is to install Linux & Mozilla/Firefox.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
It doesn't scroll with my Thinkpad's scrollkey... that's reason enough not to use it for me.