How to convert Hi 8 tapes to DVD or digital

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
How to convert Hi 8 tapes to DVD or digital

The camera does not work anymore, I have been googling stuff for an hour but a bit confused on what to use

I found some stand alone convertors but thought I would ask here first before purchasing anything

The tapes have Grandma and Grandpa on them and they both passed

Ricky.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I found some stand alone convertors but thought I would ask here first before purchasing anything
Link, so we know what you have in mind.
If it has a hi8 player in it it can't be cheap.

Options I see.
1. Find a hi8 player on ebay that still works and get a video grabber for PC.
2. Start phoning every videographer in your era and ask them if they still have hi8 equipment or know anybody that does.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
If these are really important family films, I agree with @sdifox that hiring a service to do it might be best.

Format conversion is only half the battle - a pro service can probably do a quality restoration that looks far better than anything you would be able to do yourself.

My cousin's now ex-wife used Southtree on some of her family films several years ago. She always said she was satisfied with what they sent her back. However, I've never seen the films myself, so I can't vouch in any way, shape, or form for the quality.

I know Costco used to do it, but they terminated that service a couple of months ago. Don't know if Walgreens or Walmart still do it; however, I suspect what you'd get is a straight conversion and whatever flaws the original had would still be flaws in whatever they sent you back.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
There are services which do this for you. Cheaper than buying professional equipment.
You send an email or fill out a web form, mail in your tapes, they do the work, they send back the videos. Also usually the tapes but sometimes you have to pay extra to get em back.
And I have no idea what their privacy policy is, or how reliable they are. So, good luck. Please try it and let us know.