how to convert from .avi to .avchd for my BluRay Player

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Would it not be possible to stream from your PC or hook your PC up to the TV? Not the solution you wanted, but it's a good alternative.

I don't know if you have a Xbox 360 or PS3 but they can work as media extenders and stream video off your PC via your LAN.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
The best AVC encoder is free. x264 is able to encode a video into a blu-ray compatible format. However, most blu-ray devices are able to play XVid and DivX files, I would try playing the source avi on your blu-ray player first.

That said, if on windows MeGui works pretty well and has a prebuilt profile for blu-ray encoding.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
ive tried playing the .avi file, its a no go. how do i use x264 to play on my BR player + SDHC card?

and how do i use my PS3 as a media extension, i have a NAS drive and my ps3 detects it on the lan on wireless, but it says theres no files in there even tho i have many .mp3s

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS
ive tried playing the .avi file, its a no go. how do i use x264 to play on my BR player + SDHC card?

and how do i use my PS3 as a media extension, i have a NAS drive and my ps3 detects it on the lan on wireless, but it says theres no files in there even tho i have many .mp3s

You have to setup the PS3 to receive shared files from Windows Media player. I've never tried a NAS for this so I'm sorry I cannot help.

From Windows Media Player you click on the arrow under library, and select media sharing, click share my media, then click ok, then turn on your PS3 and allow it to startup, click settings and be sure that the types of files you want to share are selected. Click ok on this window once you've made any setting changes. Once your PS3 starts up you should see an unknown device in the sharing window click on it and then click allow. This will allow your PS3 to brows the media files you have added to your Media Player library. Then click apply and ok.

Now click the arrow under library again and then select add to library. Click advanced options and then you can press the add button to add a folder to monitor. This will add any media files inside that folder. For instance. I have a folder on my 2nd HDD called Home Movies and I set that as a folder to monitor. Now my PS3 can see those videos and play them back from my PC. The default Music, pictures, and videos folders in your C:\Users\<user> folder are automatically added. You would have to manually add any folders that are not inside these locations.