how to control speed of 2nd fan in push/pull with Hyper 212 EVO

Rangoon

Apr 19, 2008
I just ordered a CM Hyper 212 EVO and have a spare 120mm fan sitting around. If I add that for use in a push/pull configuration, is it important that the puller matches the speed of the pusher? If so, since the pusher is PWM, how do you control the 2nd fan to match?

Are there multiple PWM fan controllers on the boards? Or just the one CPU fan controller?

This is the board I ordered:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271
(ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68)

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
The fans should be identical. Otherwise the slower fan will be worn much faster.

There should be a PWM splitter included when you buy another fan for the EVO.

Rangoon

Apr 19, 2008
Ah, okay. I didn't realize I would have to/want to purchase a specific EVO fan. That makes sense. Thanks!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
they dont need to be identical.

u can use off branded fans, but it wont be as efficient as having paired fans.

It will still be better then using 1 fan... because the starve'd fan will just offer less resistance on the stronger fan.

Anyhow... u need to use either a fan controller, or if your using an enthusiasts tierd bored, a Y splitter.

When i say Enthusiast i mean one of those expensive boards which were built in mind with you using a high powered fan for overclocking.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
They dont have to match. Your mobo has headers for 2 CPU fans. Plug them in and then mod the delta's in the bios to suit your needs.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I doubled up my 212+ fans, and used a splitter, works fine. I did add an identical CM fan for efficiency, otherwise why do it at all? My board has only 2 fan plugs, and I'm using the sys plug for the rear fan, hence the need for the splitter.

Rangoon

Apr 19, 2008
What exactly did you order to be a matching CM fan? I couldn't find any indication of an "EVO" fan anywhere. Just some basic CM 120mm fan? Or a specific model?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
What exactly did you order to be a matching CM fan? I couldn't find any indication of an "EVO" fan anywhere. Just some basic CM 120mm fan? Or a specific model?

I looked at the flow rates and just matched them up. This is the same fan originally supplied.

I did have to buy a splitter to run them off the CPU header together. The mount brackets are included in the original 212+ package, I don't know about the EVO.

sunny4691

Feb 11, 2012
So you were able to control both the fans with the splitter? But doesn't your mobo has more than 1 fan header.