How to conquer irrational fears?

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
I have always had a fear of heights. As I have gotten older, I have found that I can largely control this fear, but it is still always there. Its kind of weird - I really like high places, but I can't stand being near (or seeing other people near) a high edge.

I suspect my fear originated when I was a toddler. One day I somehow got away from my parents and took my stroller for a fast ride down a flight of stairs. I fractured my skull and broke my nose. I was so young that I have no memory of the incident, but I can't think of any other reason that I would have such a strong fear.

Has anyone done anything that has made them lose an irrational fear like this?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Fear of heights isn't really an irrational fear. It's very rational to fear the consequences of falling from a high place. ;)

Edit: Does it prevent you from flying in an airplane?

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I don't really consider a fear of heights irrational. IMO it's very rational unless you go as far as to feint or are afraid of 6ft drops or something.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Fear of heights isn't really an irrational fear. It's very rational to fear the consequences of falling from a high place. ;)

You are right - I just read something that stated that psychologists believe that there are 2 natural fears: fear of heights and fear of loud noises.

Unfortunately, my fear of heights is more than the "norm", according to what I have read.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
I get the same nuts-tightening feeling when near the edge, or when someone I care about is near an edge of a large dropoff. I don't think it is reasonable to expect yourself to be able to get over this, as it is a basal self-preservation instinct.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
I have the same fear (of heights). When I was in the military all the mountain climbing, rappeling and even jumping out of perfectly good airplanes never helped me to really overcome this fear. I learned to deal with it when needed but to this day I hate heights.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
I got over my fear of heights by working construction at an oil refinery in Corpus Christi, TX the summer after I graduated high school. Nothing like walking around on steel beams a few stories up to force you to get over your fear.

JMWarren

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2003
Sounds to me like you have a fear of falling rather than a fear of heights, hence the problem when someone is near a ledge.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
Originally posted by: JMWarren
Sounds to me like you have a fear of falling rather than a fear of heights, hence the problem when someone is near a ledge.

:confused: Yeah the fear of falling is a big factor in the fear of heights.

Unheard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: SonnyDaze
Originally posted by: JMWarren

:confused: Yeah the fear of falling is a big factor in the fear of heights.

Wouldn't it be the fear of the sudden stop @ the end that should scare a person the most?

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
I have always had a fear of heights. As I have gotten older, I have found that I can largely control this fear, but it is still always there. Its kind of weird - I really like high places, but I can't stand being near (or seeing other people near) a high edge.

I suspect my fear originated when I was a toddler. One day I somehow got away from my parents and took my stroller for a fast ride down a flight of stairs. I fractured my skull and broke my nose. I was so young that I have no memory of the incident, but I can't think of any other reason that I would have such a strong fear.

It depends on your level of fear towards the phobia. If your fear of heights is interefering with your regular day to day life (eg driving to work because you can't drive over a high bridge and taking the long way) then you may need therapy.

There is a therapy that works very well for this, it's called exposure therapy. You work with a therapist usually one on one and you are exposed to your phobia in gradual steps in a controlled enviroment. For most people this therapy usually works really really fast and in a session or two you might be fully cured from your phobia.

I personally don't have any phobia's but, if I did I would definetely do exposure therapy, I saw some video's of it being done and it was pretty amazing.

PM me if you want any more info.

ItTheCow

Apr 7, 2002
I wouldn't consider fear of heights irrational. Walking by a ledge with a 300ft drop on a windy day certainly has a degree of danger, and is something you _should_ be cautious about. If you stand on a chair and start freaking out, then I would consider it irrational (but who knows, the definition of irrational is different for everyone).

One way to overcome this would be to condition yourself to _enjoy_ heights. Do you really like cookies? Everyone time you go near a ledge, eat some cookies. Keep doing this and with hope, your frightful thoughts of falling will be replaced with the warm, gooey thought of eating cookies .

Dec 27, 2001
This honestly seems like it would work. Get a whole bunch of scaldingly hot single chicks who don't know about your fear to watch you as you attempt to conquer your fear. I.e. Have them watch you look out over the edge of a 10 story building or jump out of a plane or something.

You see, your sex drive is greater than your survival drive. Therefore, your mind will have no choice but to push the fear back so you don't look like a pansy infront of the potential mates.

I'm serious about this and I want full credit in science text books when this becomes standard treatment.

AgentJean

Banned
Jun 7, 2006
I have a fear of hights. For some reason I can't stand being any higher than the 10th story on building, however I'm able to fly at 35,000 feet looking out the window with no problems, which I just don't get.

Lucky for me there are not that many buildings over 10 stories in my town. Just a few hotels and appartment buildings nothing I have any business with.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
This honestly seems like it would work. Get a whole bunch of scaldingly hot single chicks who don't know about your fear to watch you as you attempt to conquer your fear. I.e. Have them watch you look out over the edge of a 10 story building or jump out of a plane or something.

You see, your sex drive is greater than your survival drive. Therefore, your mind will have no choice but to push the fear back so you don't look like a pansy infront of the potential mates.

I'm serious about this and I want full credit in science text books when this becomes standard treatment.

What if the phobia is of scantily clad women?

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I got over my spider phobia when I was working where there were hundreds of huge spiders everywhere. When you spend all day sweeping huge spiders off of yourself and your coworkers, you sort of get used to them. So I'd agree with the 'exposure therapy' approach, though it doesn't have to be some formal thing done with a therapist. Figure out what is fairly safe but makes you feel really awful and do it very frequently until it doesn't bother you anymore.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I fear spiders and heights, that's about it. My palms will actually sweat even if I'm just watching stuff about heights on TV (Stunt Junky, etc.). And I don't mind.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
"I'm not going to ride on a magic carpet!" he hissed. "I'm afraid of grounds." "You mean heights," said Conina. "And stop being silly." "I know what I mean! It's the grounds that kill you!"

Rincewind and Conina in Sourcery by Terry Pratchett

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
I'd say the best way is to just face it. But you might also wan't to consider how destructive it is to your life to have it. IF you have a rational type fear than you shouldn't be very affected. But if its so bad that you don't want to be in high up places even when they are safe then it might be worth trying to get rid of the fear. I know I developed a very irrational fear of bodies of water which is a completely silly fear to have especially since I swam competatively for 10 years of my life. So I faced it by just goign out and swimming in the Tennessee river sometimes, or refusing to let the fear stop be from doing normal things like ridding in boats, and now I am fine. (The fear was developed from falling out of a canoe into a VERY cold river one time which completely immobilized me to the point that my muscles would not respond at all. I litteraly had to just sit paralyzed until i swept onto shore. If I had not had a lifejacket on I honestly think I would have died, and that situation scared my so completely that it created a lasting phobia).

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: CKent
I fear spiders and heights, that's about it. My palms will actually sweat even if I'm just watching stuff about heights on TV (Stunt Junky, etc.). And I don't mind.

Same thing here.

My palms & feet perspire and feel cold when I watch movies like Vertical Limit (or whatever where that woman was hanging off the cliff after the avalanche). Of course, if I stand near cliff it happens too. Looking out of an airplane doesn't bother me in the least, however.

I've gone skydiving and thought it fun. But, it didn't help.

I hate fvcking spiders, all except the dady long legs.

Fern

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
I have severe acrophobia too. I get dizzy looking down from the 2nd or 3rd floor.

Funny thing is, I used to go mountain climbing and hiking with my dad all the time. I have a memory from when I was 7 where my dad is on the other side of a small jump where there is a vertical drop, and I would not jump over. It was like a big step for grown-ups, but for a kid it was terrifying. I could see the tops of the tree below and they looked tiny.

Everytime, I look down on heights I get flashbacks of that.

Over the years though it has gotten better. Give it time and try to test your limits. Do something like paint your house which requires you to get on a tall ladder. Do indoor rock climbing. It all helps. I still get slightly dizzy even now, but I have learned to deal with it a lot better. I remember breaking down and just bawling one time when I went mountain climbing again, and my belay wouldn't let me down till I hit the top. I got to the top (it was a amateur climb so no biggie), but when I hit the ground, my legs gave out and I just started crying hysterically (pretty embarassing actually).

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: NuclearNed

I edited out my redundant post.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
I got over my spider phobia when I was working where there were hundreds of huge spiders everywhere. When you spend all day sweeping huge spiders off of yourself and your coworkers, you sort of get used to them.

Is that you Joe Rogan?