how to connect wireless printer 64bit 7 to 32bit vista?

NiceCold

May 14, 2011
how to connect wireless printer 64bit 7 to 32bit vista?

i just got epson wireless printer. i primary connect it to a laptop which has windows 7 64bit. now i want to connect to my desktop windows vista 32bit.

the desktop is using wired ethernet wire through the router. the laptop is wireless. both use same router.

i go to laptop to set "share printer" and it says if two different os.... it needs additional driver. so i click properties and check "get addictional driver" something like that and it needs to browse to the location the driver is. i download the 32bit driver combo from epson website and drag it to the desktop screen.... then browse but it wont show up.

how do i get the desktop to connect to the wireless printer?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Wireless printers are Network printers.

A Network Printer should not be considered as belonging to one computer or the other.

You configure the printer as a Network Device connecting to the Wireless Router.

Then you install the printer's drivers on each computer according to the OS. It can x64, x86, OSX, or Linux. Any computer on the Network that has a driver for it can print directly to the printer.

:cool:

NiceCold

May 14, 2011
the printer is already connected to the router when i was setting up for the laptop.... it auto do everything for me putting the printer on the router.

i try to install the driver on the desktop but while setting it up for network print..... it says cannot find. this is probly due to the laptop os is windows 7 64bit and the desktop is vista 32bit.

how do i get the driver for the desktop to print directly to the printer wirelessly?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
My Brother-brand printer shows up in Win7 64-bit when I go to "Add new hardware." Then it gets installed with no manufacturer "bloatware." However, there's a problem with the borders.

Whenever there's a header with "http://www...", the "h" is chopped-off. Whenever there's a footer with "page 1/x", the total number of pages is chopped off. Seems like the margins aren't correct or something.

I'm willing to live with it for now because I *hate* bloatware.

Previously, in Windows XP, the system would refuse to find the network printer unless I installed all the Brother software.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
the printer is already connected to the router when i was setting up for the laptop.... it auto do everything for me putting the printer on the router.

i try to install the driver on the desktop but while setting it up for network print..... it says cannot find. this is probly due to the laptop os is windows 7 64bit and the desktop is vista 32bit.

how do i get the driver for the desktop to print directly to the printer wirelessly?

You would either: a) point the driver at the IP of the wireless printer (or hostname) and install it that way or b) use "printer management" to add 64bit drivers to the 32bit Vista box and connect via windows network sharing.

NiceCold

May 14, 2011
You would either: a) point the driver at the IP of the wireless printer (or hostname) and install it that way or b) use "printer management" to add 64bit drivers to the 32bit Vista box and connect via windows network sharing.

yeah i went to epson printer managerment.... then click manage then click check the box to "share printer" then properties then click add driver to work on other os but it wants me to browse the driver.... which i did download the driver for 32bit os then when i browse to the location i save it at..... it doe snot show. probly i need particular file cause the driver was an exe i think.

so.... how do i make my wired 32bit desktop to be able to use the wireless 64bit laptop's wireless printer?

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
yeah i went to epson printer managerment.... then click manage then click check the box to "share printer" then properties then click add driver to work on other os but it wants me to browse the driver.... which i did download the driver for 32bit os then when i browse to the location i save it at..... it doe snot show. probly i need particular file cause the driver was an exe i think.

so.... how do i make my wired 32bit desktop to be able to use the wireless 64bit laptop's wireless printer?

Like I said, use printer management on the 64bit machine (Your laptop) to install it. Administrative tools -> printer management -> select printer in question -> Install additional drivers select x86 driver and install driver from the site. Printer management is a Windows tool, not an Epson tool.

Biggest issue would be if Epson decided to not release the driver except via some stupid installer utility. Some have a way to extract the drivers but that would be buried in Epson's site.

--edit--

on reread you are well on your way. The problem at this point is I don't use epson so I have no idea if they provide a way to extract the drivers.

NiceCold

May 14, 2011
oh i only use the epson's management and not the windows management. i will have a look once i get my hands on the laptop.