How to connect an iPad Mini to an HDTV?

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by Dankk, May 27, 2013.

1. Dankk

Dankk Diamond Member

My mom received an iPad Mini a few months ago as a gift, and she'd like to hook it up to her TV so she can watch movies and TV shows from her iPad, on her TV.

So basically she needs an adapter that can go from iPad Mini to HDMI, and it must transmit both audio and video.

Any ideas? I have no experience with Apple products and Amazon product search is conflicting to me. I found this thing, which looks like the same connector the iPad mini uses, but it doesn't mention iPad Mini compatibility anywhere.

It just needs to be a simple solution where she can plug the iPad Mini into her TV with a cable. Thanks in advanced.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - connect iPad Mini Forum Date
    ipad mini 2 won't connect to Netflix All Things Apple Nov 6, 2015
    Automatically Connect to iPhone Hotspot from iPad? All Things Apple Jul 29, 2015
    T-Mobile iPad mini Retina shows "AT&T" in status bar and connection is unusable All Things Apple Dec 24, 2013
    iPad 4 not staying connected to home wifi. All Things Apple May 6, 2013
    Remote Desktop connection from iPad to Mac Mini desktop? All Things Apple Apr 24, 2012

3. Dankk

Dankk Diamond Member

Thanks for the quick response. If you don't mind me asking, is there a 3rd-party solution that doesn't cost $40?

4. SKORPI0

SKORPI0 Lifer

5. mshan

mshan Diamond Member

6. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

7. rsutoratosu

rsutoratosu Platinum Member

opt for the airplay, that little apple hdmi dongle i bought for half the price of apple tv got cable kink and doesn't charge or transmit signal in certain position..

the cable got knock off by someone walking around the tv and now i dont even use it anymore.. im just waiting for apple tv to go on sale

8. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

That is a valid concern, wires are a pain in the ass and distance limited. With the AppleTV, you are only limited by the range and throughput of your wireless signal.

9. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

I know you want to be cheap, but at some point, you'll just end up getting an Apple TV anyway.

10. tim Paul

tim Paul Banned

When you connect your iPad Mini to a HDTV via USB cable, the attached TV will automatically display iPad screen.

• If you want to watch video in HD resolution, use Apple AV digital adapter.
    • Make sure the video cable is compatible and tightly connected at both ends.
    • Check that connected HDTV has proper video input such as HDMI selected.
    • If no video appear disconnect the cable and try again

#10 tim Paul, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013