How to connect an iPad Mini to an HDTV?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
My mom received an iPad Mini a few months ago as a gift, and she'd like to hook it up to her TV so she can watch movies and TV shows from her iPad, on her TV.

So basically she needs an adapter that can go from iPad Mini to HDMI, and it must transmit both audio and video.

Any ideas? I have no experience with Apple products and Amazon product search is conflicting to me. I found this thing, which looks like the same connector the iPad mini uses, but it doesn't mention iPad Mini compatibility anywhere.

It just needs to be a simple solution where she can plug the iPad Mini into her TV with a cable. Thanks in advanced.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks for the quick response. If you don't mind me asking, is there a 3rd-party solution that doesn't cost $40?

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
opt for the airplay, that little apple hdmi dongle i bought for half the price of apple tv got cable kink and doesn't charge or transmit signal in certain position..

the cable got knock off by someone walking around the tv and now i dont even use it anymore.. im just waiting for apple tv to go on sale

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
opt for the airplay, that little apple hdmi dongle i bought for half the price of apple tv got cable kink and doesn't charge or transmit signal in certain position..

the cable got knock off by someone walking around the tv and now i dont even use it anymore.. im just waiting for apple tv to go on sale

That is a valid concern, wires are a pain in the ass and distance limited. With the AppleTV, you are only limited by the range and throughput of your wireless signal.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
I know you want to be cheap, but at some point, you'll just end up getting an Apple TV anyway.

tim Paul

Banned
May 21, 2013
When you connect your iPad Mini to a HDTV via USB cable, the attached TV will automatically display iPad screen.

• If you want to watch video in HD resolution, use Apple AV digital adapter.
  • Make sure the video cable is compatible and tightly connected at both ends.
  • Check that connected HDTV has proper video input such as HDMI selected.
  • If no video appear disconnect the cable and try again

Last edited: