How to clean thermal grease from CPU ?

beefheart

Oct 13, 2008
As per the subject what is the safest and most effective way to clean the thermal grease on top of the cpu ?

Thanks in advance

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
High alcohol content isopropyl + coffee filters is my method, Q-tips for those hard to reach spots.

GprophetB

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2003
Razor blade, nothing else needed (unless the thermal compound is so old / dry / cracked then use krnmaster's suggestion)

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: krnmastersgt
High alcohol content isopropyl + coffee filters is my method, Q-tips for those hard to reach spots.

This method works well. I have used it often (although I don't use coffee filters, since I don't drink coffee.)

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
I just use denatured alcohol and a paper towel. Don't need to be fancy.

Denatured Alcohol is the 100% alcohol (the kind in booze), but with some junk thrown in to make it poison, so people don't use it to make cheap, nasty hooch to get away from the extreme tax on alcohol. You can get it at your local hardware store for a few bucks a quart in the same aisle as paint thinner.

You don't really have to be gentle with CPU lids or heatsink surfaces.
the 100% alcohol evaporates very quick, so I don't have to do anything special to dry it, just wet a paper towel, wipe a couple times and it's dry before I can get the paste squirted from the syringe.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
I usually submerge the processor in high % alcohol for a few hours and let it dry for an hour. gets rid of any residue of the thermal paste. Kind of extreme though and it would be easier to do what others suggested.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
I usually submerge the processor in high % alcohol for a few hours and let it dry for an hour. gets rid of any residue of the thermal paste. Kind of extreme though and it would be easier to do what others suggested.

What if the heatspreader has air holes, and inside the heatspreader they used thermal paste rather than solder? That's a good way to screw up your chip.

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Gillbot
i use my tshirt

LOL :laugh:

And after pondering on that, Why not?? :thumbsup:

Just clean it after you wipe it with your "t-shirt", with alcohol and coffee filter.

I use coffee filters, ( I do drink coffee ) because they dont leave lint or other matter behind.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Drsignguy
i use my tshirt

LOL :laugh:

And after pondering on that, Why not?? :thumbsup:

Just clean it after you wipe it with your "t-shirt", with alcohol and coffee filter.

I use coffee filters, ( I do drink coffee ) because they dont leave lint or other matter behind.

meh, i'm not that picky. I get great temps with my "hackjob" methods. ;)

Though after the tshirt I usually use a piece of paper to get off any residual and lint. ;) I'm too lazy to go upstairs and get filters and alcohol.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Though after the tshirt I usually use a piece of paper to get off any residual and lint. ;) I'm too lazy to go upstairs and get filters and alcohol.

Whoa, you keep your coffee filters upstairs? I keep my computers upstairs, and my coffee filters downstairs, that way they'll be closer to where I work on my computers.;)

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
Originally posted by: Andrew1990

What if the heatspreader has air holes, and inside the heatspreader they used thermal paste rather than solder? That's a good way to screw up your chip.

Sorry, I didnt specify, I usually only do this on old Pentium 3s and Mobile chips that dont use heatspreaders.

I did use it on my 3800 I am using and it worked fine but I wouldnt do it on an expensive chip like a new Intel.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
I use butane lighter fluid and a paper towel. Breaks up the grease and evaporates almost instantly.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
91% isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel.

If I'm trying to drop as many degrees as possible, I use some ArctiClean as well. Even when the paper towel is coming back clean with alcohol, it usually comes back a bit "dirty" after using ArctiClean.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
i usually use the 99.953% pure isopropanol (isopropl alchohol). they sell a special "electronics grade" at frys but the stuff you can buy at grocery stores that is 99.9% pure is probably just as good. they stock it in with the other antiseptics usually. the stuff i got at frys was like $6 for a 1 liter bottle, i think it was like $1-2 for a 500ml bottle though at safeway last i checked (generic safeway brand alchohol). the alchohol they sell is cheap enough that if you want to make flame pillars for shits at parties you can just buy a bottle and pour the whole thing out in a puddle and light it pretty fast. its also great for mixing 50/50 with water and lighting peoples shit on fire w/o burning it. yes, im a pyro :D

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
91% IPA + cottonballs or qtips

I used to use an old knit shirt but I found that cottonballs get down into any grooves on the heatsink much more effectively. Qtips for the edges of the cpu (paste almost always pushes over at least one side while cleaning).

GprophetB

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Navid
Originally posted by: GprophetB
Razor blade, nothing else needed

R U serious?

Everytime ive cleaned thermal compound off a chip (specifically off the heatspreader over the die)
Its been wet / mallable so i just use a razor blade and slowly slide it under the paste

Then re-apply arctic silver and im done?

Not sure if thats not normal but ive done it a handful of times and been fine

Navid

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Navid
Razor blade, nothing else needed

R U serious?

Everytime ive cleaned thermal compound off a chip (specifically off the heatspreader over the die)
Its been wet / mallable so i just use a razor blade and slowly slide it under the paste

Then re-apply arctic silver and im done?

Not sure if thats not normal but ive done it a handful of times and been fine

Sounds like you are serious!
The purpose of thermal paste is to fill microscopic gaps.
If you scratch the surface of the chip with a sharp metallic object (razor blade), you will be creating large gaps, defeating the purpose.
Never ever bring a metallic object close to the chip or the surface of the sink. Why take the risk?

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
Originally posted by: krnmastersgt

This is the method I use, except I don't use the Q-tips. I usuallly just fold the filter and wipe into the corners. Good idea though, I didn't think of that.

i use my tshirt

Or I could you this method. LOL

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
I think the easiest and most efficient way to remove the thermal paste is nail polish remover. I try to find the extra strength stuff with at least 85% acetone (its a solvent).

Its really cheap, just make sure you don't get it with any additives. Technically you could go as low as maybe 70% acetone (or even 65? never tried it), you'll just have to wait for the water to evaporate off the heatsink and cpu.

If you have CVS in your area, they sell 99% acetone nail polish remover in a life sized bottle for about $2.00. You'll use maybe a caps worth.

Also, for the actual removing of it, I tend to just use paper towels or q-tips. Cotton is supposed to be the best.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Razor blade, nothing else needed (unless the thermal compound is so old / dry / cracked then use krnmaster's suggestion)

Absolutely.
Quick, easy and simple.
Option: Then you can use Ultra Charming to wipe off the remaining residue...LOL

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: videopho

Absolutely.
Quick, easy and simple.
Option: Then you can use Ultra Charming to wipe off the remaining residue...LOL

Nah, Like Gillbot said, T-shirt.

Q-tips, coffee filter and use Alcohol = Done! Clean and lint free.:thumbsup: