How to clean a Flat Screen Monitor??

wnangle

Mar 14, 2007
Like many, I retired my 22 Viewsonic 65 pound monitor and bought a 22 inch flatscreen a few weeks ago. Cleaning the screen on the old monitor was so easy, but I've heard all sorts of rumors about cleaning the flat screen. What is the best way to clean this type of monitor? Windex? Soap and water? Damp cloth? Dry cloth? Someone told me that I need to buy a $50 cleaning kit at the computer store to clean these monitors. Whats the real way to clean them? Oh, there is nothing spilt or sprayed on the monitor, just dust. I'am very careful not to even touch the screen.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Water and cloth. Just be careful you don't press too hard.

Welcome to AnandTech :)

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Use a non abrasive cloth (made for glass like for your glasses) and a tiny bit of water. thats it

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
If it needs more than just water, you can get stuff specifically for cleaning screens at OD or OM. Don't use Windex and the like because it can remove the coating that is on the monitors to keep the glare down and things like that.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Never use an ammonia based cleaner such as Windex. Ammonia is a killer for polycarbonate surfaces and anti-glare coatings used on many monitors, including flat panels.

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
They make wipes especially made for LCD screens that you can get at any computer store. They're just like the clorox or windex wipes, except they don't have any harsh chemicals.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
2 Microfibre cloths (you can get it from dollar store) + water. Wet one cloth, clean screen and wipe off with the dry one.

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
I use a mix that's 50% alcohol, 50% distilled water, on an old t-shirt.

Make sure the monitor is cool first.

xcript

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2003
I use Dust Off Monitor Wipes on my LCD and laptop display as I got a bunch for free. They do the job.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
people say you shouldn't use Windex, but I use it anyway, it really cuts through the grease and grime :)

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: aidanjm
people say you shouldn't use Windex, but I use it anyway, it really cuts through the grease and grime :)

Are you cooking on your monitor?

Jun 14, 2003
damp cloth, with hot water .

i do have some cleaning solution and some microfiber cloths that came with it, but they are poor and leave streaks. untill, that is, i cleaned the screen immediately after switching off. the heat of the monitor would evapourate the cleaning stuff nicely and leave no marks.

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
I had a lady here at my work clean her LCD screen with hand sanitizer lotion...

*facepalm*

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Gnrslash4life

no, but occasionally people touch the screen, which leaves greasy smudges

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Gnrslash4life

no, but occasionally people touch the screen, which leaves greasy smudges

Those people need to have that finger broken so they can learn what a vile habit that is.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
The ammonia in Windex will cause the anti-glare coating to yellow I've heard.

I bought my Thinkpad used from eBay and when it came, the screen is tinted a light shade of yellow. I'm guessing that's what the seller did before sending it out, not knowing any better.

It's kind of annoying, but I'm not doing anything on it that requires super accurate color reproduction anyway. It still keeps me from using Windex on my 2001FP.