How to choose CPU for server?

cklooi

Mar 31, 2015
I have a very noob question but I would like to know how to choose the CPU for server.

I need to build a server which its data could be accessed by 100+ computers at the same time. And the data could be like a few hundred MB in size.

Should I get a CPU with more cores or more cache or other spec?

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I would focus on good network connectivity, and make sure your whole network is up to scratch. It doesn't matter how fast your CPU is, if you have 100+ computers connecting to it over a ropey wifi router. ;)

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
if a business setup, next thing to look at after network is support. CPU / RAM only come into play once you know what tasks the server is to be doing.

jihe

Nov 6, 2009
I have a very noob question but I would like to know how to choose the CPU for server.

I need to build a server which its data could be accessed by 100+ computers at the same time. And the data could be like a few hundred MB in size.

100+ computers? Sounds like a fair size project. You should speak to an IT consultant with your exact needs.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

Seek a professional's guidance if it is within your budget.

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012

It's not a noob question depending of your scenario, and I'm afraid if you can't find the answer you should find someone who does, and it won't be in a public forum, better to pay for a good consultant than screw it up. He'll ask for things like like your network topology, how this data is accessed, what applications need to run on this server, how much redundancy and availability you need and how heavy every data request is on the system, and depending on these answers the CPU you'll pick is your smallest worries, as high speed storage and huge amounts of memory can be expensive.

Get someone who can work in delimitating this scenario for you and he'll have the answer of the hardware you need. You'll recoup the money somehow, the odds of you finding someone on an annonymous forum that will give you a solution that won't cost more money in the future are really small, and you don't have to be that penny-wise-pound-foolish.