How To Change Your Political Party in CA?

BranzLS

Jul 11, 2002
I just recieved my absentee ballot in the mail, and I want to know how to change my political party as far as the state of CA and local county are concerned. Anyone have any information on this? Thanks

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Well for one party you to stop thinking for yourself and the other you need to start.

Any other questions?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Why the hell does a person have to declare their party any time other than elections?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
i never understood this whole party thing... i don't think we have that here in WA

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Amorphus
Originally posted by: gopunk
i never understood this whole party thing... i don't think we have that here in WA

but seriously, though, lol at you. :)

well what i mean is that you don't have to register with a party. what the hell is the point?

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Why the hell does a person have to declare their party any time other than elections?
Only reason I can think of is to change the propoganda you get mailed from candidates.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

well what i mean is that you don't have to register with a party. what the hell is the point?

In some states, you declare a party. Then, in the primary, you vote for that party's candidates. In the general election, you can vote for anyone.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000

Party pooper.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: conjur

In some states, you declare a party. Then, in the primary, you vote for that party's candidates. In the general election, you can vote for anyone.
Is that to prevent a republican from voting for a democratic BAD nominee deliberately, so that when election time comes the democratic presidential runner up isn't al sharpton, for instance?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: conjur

Is that to prevent a republican from voting for a democratic BAD nominee deliberately, so that when election time comes the democratic presidential runner up isn't al sharpton, for instance?

Possibly.

But, as my history teacher told us in high school:

Register as Democrat. Vote for the weakest Democratic nominee and then vote Republican in the general election.

;)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I didn't read the whole thread, so this may have been said already, but all you have to do is go to the post office, get a voter registration form, fill it out, and mail it in. If you're already registered to vote, they will jsut update your information with whatever's on the new card, including party affiliation.

BranzLS

Jul 11, 2002
Originally posted by: notfred
I didn't read the whole thread, so this may have been said already, but all you have to do is go to the post office, get a voter registration form, fill it out, and mail it in. If you're already registered to vote, they will jsut update your information with whatever's on the new card, including party affiliation.

Exactly, and thank you! :)