How to change program that opens files linked with IE?

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
When I click on a certain file, mpeg (pr0n), using IE, it uses the newest version of Media Player that I have installed, 9.0 or whatever it is. I prefer the old interface of 6.4 (something like that).... How do I change associations within IE? Like how do I change it that when I click on a certain file using IE, that it will use the program I chose?

Many thanks =)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Drill down through the control panel to the Add/Remove window components. There should be a tab in that applet to associate file types with a program.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
That didn't work, any other tips? I saw what you were talking about, but it just gave me 3 options.... "Use Default Player", "Use Windows Media Player", & "Use QuickTime Player". It won't let me point to a specific executable I want to use, is there a way to do that?

Again, this is only when using IE.... When I click on a movie file, it automatically loads it up in WinMP 9.x, instead of the old Media player that I do have installed. I have the old media player associated with files I double click on that are on my Hard drive.

This is Win2k if that helps.

Thanks again

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Actually, I just disabled the associations within the MP 9.x program, and that seemed to do the trick =) Many thanks anyway