Question How to change phone carriers for Sierra wireless AirLink GX450

Ksingh707

Sep 5, 2021
Hello, I have a sierra airlink GX450 that has the ATT firmware on it.
I am trying to get this device to work with the sprint and Verizon firmware as well.
But every time I go into ace manager and install the firmwares from the sierra wireless website for Verizon and sprint I get a message saying it’s not matching firmware from storage.
Every time I try to apply the radio module firmware, on the third step for applying, I get a message saying ( couldn't open downloaded firmware package ).
When I check the firmware tab in ace manager it shows a ATT and Verizon option.
I have tried resetting from the reset the button on the device and resetting from ace manager and it still had the same issue.
I’ll attach the image of what I’m seeing below.
I also have tried to do it through the software and firmware tab on the top of the screen. That also didn’t work and I will attach image of what I’m seeing.
Any information that would help me figure out how I can configure this device to different carriers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    537.3 KB · Views: 5
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    657.9 KB · Views: 4

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
sprint and Verizon firmware as well.
Nope..... different underlying network components won't get the signals.

ATT / TM = GSM
VZW / Sprint = EVDO / CDMA

Now, when 5G shakes out across the board and everyone is playing with the same tech things will become compatible across carriers. Even with LTE I can use my phone on all 4 carriers but, that's something I spec'd out when looking at phone options to make sure it had cross compatibility within the bands it supports.

Looking the PP for the GX though it's already EOS and brief is from 2016. In terms of technology when it comes to cellular it's ancient. Why it's still being sold though I have no idea and it's not worth the $750 they're asking for on Amazon.

GX450 North American Model (Sierra Wireless MC7354) Supported Frequency Bands
  • LTE: 1900(B2), AWS(B4), 850(B5), 700(B13), 700(B17), 1900(B25)
  • WCDMA: 2100(B1), 1900(B2), AWS(B4), 850(B5), 900(B8)
  • EV-DO/CDMA: 800(BC0), 1900(BC1), 1700(BC10)
  • GSM/GPRS/EDGE: Quad-band

With all of the network shutdowns coming for 2G / 3G it's time to consider another device IMO.

Ksingh707

Sep 5, 2021
Nope..... different underlying network components won't get the signals.

ATT / TM = GSM
VZW / Sprint = EVDO / CDMA

Now, when 5G shakes out across the board and everyone is playing with the same tech things will become compatible across carriers. Even with LTE I can use my phone on all 4 carriers but, that's something I spec'd out when looking at phone options to make sure it had cross compatibility within the bands it supports.

Looking the PP for the GX though it's already EOS and brief is from 2016. In terms of technology when it comes to cellular it's ancient. Why it's still being sold though I have no idea and it's not worth the $750 they're asking for on Amazon.

GX450 North American Model (Sierra Wireless MC7354) Supported Frequency Bands
  • LTE: 1900(B2), AWS(B4), 850(B5), 700(B13), 700(B17), 1900(B25)
  • WCDMA: 2100(B1), 1900(B2), AWS(B4), 850(B5), 900(B8)
  • EV-DO/CDMA: 800(BC0), 1900(BC1), 1700(BC10)
  • GSM/GPRS/EDGE: Quad-band

With all of the network shutdowns coming for 2G / 3G it's time to consider another device IMO.
Thank you so much for this feedback I appreciate.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
It can get complicated when trying to find the right device with how fast things are changing these days.

The removal of the legacy networks though makes room for using the bandwidth for faster 4G / 5G options.

I've worked for a couple of carriers in the past and things are changing all the time within the networks. I worked on the IP side though rathe than the RF side but, you hear all the announcements for things when they're getting deployed just the same.

I use my phone as a HS though and get 600/100 speeds out of it on 5G and don't need to carry a HS anymore. One less thing to deal with when connecting remotely makes it simple.