Question How to Change Microsoft Edge to use Google Instead of Bing?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I have to ask but are you using the new Edge or the one that comes with Windows 10? The article you linked to is for the new Chromium version of Edge. If using the old you would need an add-on like the article says. Or you can download and install the new version.

VirtualLarry

Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
AFAIK, you cannot.

Since the Consent Decree expired, MS has hard-wired their browser and Windows Shell search provider to Bing.

Just one of many articles:

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I have to ask but are you using the new Edge or the one that comes with Windows 10? The article you linked to is for the new Chromium version of Edge. If using the old you would need an add-on like the article says. Or you can download and install the new version.
ahh..thx.
surprised Dell shipped with the old version of Edge

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
AFAIK, you cannot.

Since the Consent Decree expired, MS has hard-wired their browser and Windows Shell search provider to Bing.

Just one of many articles:

ahh.. you read my mind.
my next question was how to make the Win10 'search box' (next to Start button) default to Google instead of Bing.
(browser default is google)

I guess I cant. :(

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Edit: I installed the new Edge and you can change and remove what search results you get in the address bar. I'm using DuckDuckGO and I deleted the other 3 pre-installed engines. I don't see a way to not have the new tab use Bing search though. You can customize it a little but a Bing bar is still visible.

I also added NoScript and Ublock Origin from Google Chrome add-ons.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Edit: I installed the new Edge and you can change and remove what search results you get in the address bar. I'm using DuckDuckGO and I deleted the other 3 pre-installed engines. I don't see a way to not have the new tab use Bing search though. You can customize it a little but a Bing bar is still visible.

I also added NoScript and Ublock Origin from Google Chrome add-ons.
I use adblock plus

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
if the new Edge is based on Chrome, is there a reason to use Chrome?
I honestly don't know at this point. I only had Chrome installed because I needed one their apps (which they are discontinuing) and because a couple of the sites I need didn't work with firefox. At least one of those site works fine in firefox now (walgreens). I really hope I don't need to install Chrome since upgrading to Windows 10. Only time will tell. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
AFAIK only the address bar search engine is changeable in "old" Edge.
To change the address bar search engine in "old" Edge, this link you where to make the changes and how -
When you first go there, only Bing will be available.
To make other search engines available, simply go to their home page (google.com, duckduckgo.com, etc.) and do a search, they will then be added to the list of available search engines. (This "making available" in Edge works for any search engine that uses OpenSearch technology)

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Been using new Edge for two weeks now, and I always find a choice between Bing and Google.

ASK THE COMMUNITY