How to change Fuel Filter? with PICS PICS PICS (powered by Canon SD100)

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Fuel Filter:
This is the diagram
Fuel Filter 1
Fuel Filter 2
Fuel Filter 3

so do I remove the top part first? how to minimize fuel spillage?

also, do I need to change the valve cover gasket?
Engine Bay 1
Engine Bay 2

Valve Cover 1
Valve Cover 2
Valve Cover 3

and I can't take a pic of the head gasket area, because I actually don't know where the head meet the block... it all looks the same down there below the valve cover.

finally, how precise is this?
Autozone gap coin
it looks kinda primitive, is there a better way to gap spark plugs?

grillmasterP

Apr 2, 2000
Originally posted by: andylawcc
Fuel Filter:
This is the diagram
Fuel Filter 1
Fuel Filter 2
Fuel Filter 3

so do I remove the top part first? how to minimize fuel spillage?

You can use some scraps of ~ 3/8" rubber tubing or plugs to insert into the banjo fitting or cap the end to minimize spilling- Also a pair of vise grips (with some type of insulation) can be used to pinch the lines as well

There may be a step involved- running car while disconnecting EFI fuse or open the gas cap to reduce fuel pressure

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Make sure you take the pressure off the fuel system first. There are a few methods for this.

No use changing the valve cover gasket.

The spark gap rings are acceptable.

You haven't bought a Hayne's manual?

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: grillmasterP
You can use some scraps of ~ 3/8" rubber tubing or plugs to insert into the banjo fitting or cap the end to minimize spilling- Also a pair of vise grips (with some type of insulation) can be used to pinch the lines as well

banjo fitting? is that the one on the top part?
usually, do people remove the top or bottom first?

Zero Plasma

Banned
Jun 14, 2004
If you save the cardboard scraps you can make a nice little placemat. :)
Thats what supercarpart.webcom said. I dunno, that site sucks. :)

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Kalvin00
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe
Pull the fuel pump relay and start the car, and let it run until it runs itself out of fuel.

Fixed.

yeah yeah....You can also have it running to begin with and pull the relay. Crank it over a few more times after it dies.

On mine I have jump the cold start valve to the battery.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Actually, fuel pressure will usually bleed off after the car has been off for awhile. At any rate, there shouldn't be a lot of pressure at the fuel filter. My advice is to get a couple of rags and stuff them up around the lines connecting to the fuel filter to absorb the fuel that will come out. Even if you have 0psi fuel pressure, some will dribble out. Also, remember the fuel filter is likely filled with fuel too, so try to keep it oriented so it doesn't pour out on you.

Oh, and it's always good to smoke a cig while doing that job..;)

Kipper

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2000
Valve cover gasket should be changed if you notice you are leaking oil around the cover or if you are finding some oil in your plug wells...even then, it's a bit of a long, PITA procedure so it may not be worth the time.

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: bernse
You don't clean under the hood, do you?

what's the point? that's like cleaning the underside of your shoe.

Huh? Are you serious? When you vacuum out your car do you vacuum under the seat? Nonody looks under there...

Off the top of my head:

Helps keep corrosion down.

"looks" nice.

And the best one, if you *ever* work on your engine, you'll know why. Working on a clean engine is a far more enjoyable chore (if it can be enjoyable) than a dirty one. In my experience (as someone who has wrenched on cars off/on for 15 years) someone who doesn't keep the under the hood clean *generally* doesn't maintain the vehicle all that well either.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
You don't clean under the hood, do you?

what's the point? that's like cleaning the underside of your shoe.

Huh? Are you serious? When you vacuum out your car do you vacuum under the seat? Nonody looks under there...

Off the top of my head:

Helps keep corrosion down.

"looks" nice.

And the best one, if you *ever* work on your engine, you'll know why. Working on a clean engine is a far more enjoyable chore (if it can be enjoyable) than a dirty one. In my experience (as someone who has wrenched on cars off/on for 15 years) someone who doesn't keep the under the hood clean *generally* doesn't maintain the vehicle all that well either.

I dont clean mine and I take very good care of my cars.

Back to the issue, I'd not worry about that valve cover gasket. It will be such a PITA that you will be kicking yourself halfway through.

Usually there is a schraeder valve on the fuel line which you can push in to relieve pressure on the fuel system.

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
There should be something called a schrader valve located someplace in the engine bay. On my camaro it was near where the fuel lines entered the engine bay. Look for something that looks like a tire valve steam, but a bit bigger. That will relieve the pressure in the fuel lines so you dont have gas spilling all over.

seth

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: I Saw OJ
There should be something called a schrader valve located someplace in the engine bay. On my camaro it was near where the fuel lines entered the engine bay. Look for something that looks like a tire valve steam, but a bit bigger. That will relieve the pressure in the fuel lines so you dont have gas spilling all over.

seth

Given the choice between pulling the relay and using the schrader valve I pick the relay.

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Every time I post in one of your threads my car breaks.

I went to the store and smoked my clutch on the way back. :(

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000

lol...

err...

:(

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000

well,
YOU BETTER PRAY MY CAR PASS SMOG TOMORROW.... muhahhahah.. :)

:( well, sorry to hear that. :( if there's an consolation just think you are not driving my car :)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
:confused: sell the SD and hire someone.

next time post year make and model in the topic instead of your digicam.