Question How to change from Win-10 To Win-11 in New Workstation

dan99t

Nov 29, 2011
Hi,

I am getting a new Dell workstation.

In OS choice I have to select one of two options.

(1) Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (6 cores, Includes Windows 11 Pro License) English

(2) Windows -11

I have never used any of them. So I am inclined to choose Win-10 to see what it is like.

My question is what does option 1 mean ? Do I get a key for Win-11 ?

I know I will get Win-10 in a single 512GB NVMe Partition.

(1) If I want to then Limit Win-10 partition to 220 GB, how would I do that so that I can have two more partitions for data in that NVME 512GB SSD with Win-10 ?

(2) If I want to try or switch to Win-11, how would I do that ?

(3) I am also getting 2nd M.2 NVME 512GB SSD. Can I install Win-11 in that SSD & then remove Win-10 SSD & place Win-11 SSD & boot & try Win-11 that way ? If so how ?

(4) Can I dual boot Win-10 & Win-11 ? If so how & how much space will be needed for both OS ?

I would really appreciate all the help.

Thank You

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Hi,

I am getting a new Dell workstation.

In OS choice I have to select one of two options.

(1) Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (6 cores, Includes Windows 11 Pro License) English

(2) Windows -11

I have never used any of them. So I am inclined to choose Win-10 to see what it is like.

My question is what does option 1 mean ? Do I get a key for Win-11 ?

It means that you can upgrade to Win 11 Pro at no cost to you
I know I will get Win-10 in a single 512GB NVMe Partition.

(1) If I want to then Limit Win-10 partition to 220 GB, how would I do that so that I can have two more partitions for data in that NVME 512GB SSD with Win-10 ?
You can use Disk Management (a Windows utility) to shrink the C volume and then create a new volume(s) with the remaining space. You can also do this with 3rd party software.

(2) If I want to try or switch to Win-11, how would I do that ?
You can do an "in lpace" upgrade which will upgrade your Win10 to Win11. I believe you can back to Win10 within like 30 days if you decide you don't like Win11. You could also use one of the newly created partitions from the last question. If you only have 1 disk installed this would create a dual boot scenario you mention in #4.
(3) I am also getting 2nd M.2 NVME 512GB SSD. Can I install Win-11 in that SSD & then remove Win-10 SSD & place Win-11 SSD & boot & try Win-11 that way ? If so how ?
If you have a second SSD then I would remove the Win10 SSD and install the new one. You need to create a Win11 USB installer on another PC or before you swap the drives on this new workstation. Then you simply install Win11 on the new SSD. If you leave the Win10 SSD installed and install Win11 on the new SSD you would create a dual boot scenario as well.
(4) Can I dual boot Win-10 & Win-11 ? If so how & how much space will be needed for both OS ?

I would really appreciate all the help.

Thank You
Yes. You can use 2 partitions on a single drive or use 2 separate drives. I would not use a partition smaller than 128GB if you just plan to use this as an everyday PC (internet browsing, email, Youtube, etc.). For a workstation your size requirements will depend on the software you plan to install along with Windows. My work laptop has about 200GB of a 512GB drive used. This includes the OS, programs, and local copies of some cloud based files for offline access.

Reactions: dan99t

dan99t

Nov 29, 2011
If you have a second SSD then I would remove the Win10 SSD and install the new one. You need to create a Win11 USB installer on another PC or before you swap the drives on this new workstation. Then you simply install Win11 on the new SSD. If you leave the Win10 SSD installed and install Win11 on the new SSD you would create a dual boot scenario as well.
If I want to install Win-11 on another SSD, it has to be a Win-11 Pro for Workstation. So where can I get that ?

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
If I want to install Win-11 on another SSD, it has to be a Win-11 Pro for Workstation. So where can I get that ?
There is no separate version "for workstations". It's either Home or Pro. They are both available for download on Microsoft's website.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
You install Win 10 and Activate it.

You clone the SSD of Win 10 use the Same computer and Upgrade the clone to Win 11.

The result you would have for this computer two SSDs one with Win 10 and one with Win 11 and Both would be Activate..

That said, can you explain why you need to work with Win 10 and Win 11? I can not find any excuse for it.

:cool: