Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
mandatory aol sucks comment.

but Michio Kaku is cool.. he looks like an old asian hippy

MichioKaku_commons.jpg

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Someone upload it after they record it. Some of us don't get the Science Channel. :)

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
I don't like Michio Kaku. Every time I see a science show with him on it, he's always talking about these grand, amazing physics theories but doesn't do shit to explain how/why these theories exist.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I don't like Michio Kaku. Every time I see a science show with him on it, he's always talking about these grand, amazing physics theories but doesn't do shit to explain how/why these theories exist.

You always have the option of reading his published papers.

Any egghead can blab on using technical terms nobody understands. It takes someone with a real command of the material to explain it in a way the average person would understand.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001

He is hosting a television show, not presenting original research to a panel of theoretical physicists, what they heck do you expect?

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
I just want him to go a little more in depth. It's probably not his fault, it seems that shows now are more interested in wowing people instead of actually educating them.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Name of the show is misleading. "How to Build a Light Saber" followed by "we could one day build a real working lightsaber"

bah.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Catch: It's won't actually cut through anything. Bummer.

Mine does. It has a drawback though. It does not stop before the ceiling. As a matter of fact it goes on for miles and miles. Perhaps Bruce Wayne would be interested in equipping his floating batmobile with one to use against the zeroes. ;)

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
Mine does. It has a drawback though. It does not stop before the ceiling. As a matter of fact it goes on for miles and miles. Perhaps Bruce Wayne would be interested in equipping his floating batmobile with one to use against the zeroes. ;)

My friend has a laser as well; he's a physicist working at JET, near Abingdon.

http://www.jet.uk/

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Just like his "how to travel through time" episode, it was beyond useless.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
You always have the option of reading his published papers.

Any egghead can blab on using technical terms nobody understands. It takes someone with a real command of the material to explain it in a way the average person would understand.

This.

His shows on the various learning networks, or at least his appearances on various shows, aren't for the purpose of TEACHING, but rather, enlightening. Using hopeful and clearly understandable dialogue, in essentially a way that isn't there to actually teach you anything about the theories, but rather... raise interest in them. Likely with the grand purpose of trying to recruit more brilliant minds to venture into the advanced sciences to try and speed up breakthroughs that use what are now theories as the basis for a better life.

In essence, when he is on TV, he isn't Michio Kaku the physicist, he's Michio Kaku the futurist. Enlightening viewers of what the future may hold based current theoretical physics advancements. He's not there to explain HOW science has settled on the current theories. That material is hard to boil down no matter who you are. And it takes a person with a serious invested interest to even begin to understand the most water down physics theories.

At least, that's how I look at it.

Michio Kaku is awesome. I haven't read his books though, so maybe in his books he does explain the theories in an easy to understand manner.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
As much as I love Star Wars...You can pretty much defeat any Lightsaber user with a 9mm pistol.