How to bolt a safe to the ground..

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I just bought this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SentrySafe...ci_sku=4806226

I didn't know anything about it when I bought it, but I've heard you can secure them to the ground so I figured with this one I could.

Well there are no screw holes or anything. Can this be mounted to the ground? Or is this just meant to be a lock box?

That's not a safe. It's only to protect documents from burning for a short period of time (which should be stored in a bank safe). A thief can just pick that up and walk out with it.

What do you need out of a safe? Firearms/ammo? Cash? Important documents? Do you want it to be practically impossible to steal or are you just wanting to protect stuff from fire/disaster (again, keep originals in bank safe, keep copies in yours).

Sep 7, 2009
Yeah... those things are seriously a joke. You could use the claw of a hammer to pop it open, let alone a crowbar on the floor.

All of these sentrysafes and equivalent can be easily cut right open with a circular saw. If you want a "burglary safe" be prepared to pay >$500 for a small one.

That is more for keeping your kids out of the house paperwork

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Yeah... those things are seriously a joke. You could use the claw of a hammer to pop it open, let alone a crowbar on the floor.

All of these sentrysafes and equivalent can be easily cut right open with a circular saw. If you want a "burglary safe" be prepared to pay >$500 for a small one.

That is more for keeping your kids out of the house paperwork

Meh, I use one in my office as a distraction. It's got some cash, cheap jewelry and official looking documents so if they find that they won't look for the real safes.

AVAFREAK182

Banned
Jun 25, 2007
Well I'm moving out on my own (I'm 18) and wanted a place to keep things (SS card, birth certificate, cash, etc). The area I'm moving is very nice, but I was just trying to be "safe". I failed.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Don't worry about it getting broken into. Something that small you can find a hiding spot for. It's more important for its ability to protect valuable documents in case of a fire. An additionally, at least you have some place to put those kinds of things, instead of them being spread around in the bottom of drawers and in filing cabinets or something.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Well I'm moving out on my own (I'm 18) and wanted a place to keep things (SS card, birth certificate, cash, etc). The area I'm moving is very nice, but I was just trying to be "safe". I failed.

That's a good box for that. Put it in a cardboard box with a bunch of old magazines, and some junk.

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
You could still bolt it down of course... you would just have to drill holes through the bottom from the inside and then depending on whether you are going into concrete or wood you would use either long lag bolts or redhead wedge anchor bolts. I'm sure you could also fashion some sort of metal brackets that bolt to the floor and around the safe with some sort of lock attached to it if you don't need access to the safe's contents often. You could even affix some sort of cable around the box and then bolt it to a stud in the closet or something. Obviously it's just meant to make the criminal's life harder and less likely to succeed.

Essentially, though, bolting it down through the inside of the safe makes it easier to pry open of course. Its more of a keeping the honest people honest kind of thing.

Last edited:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Not a bad idea to have something to hold valuables against fire, which is what you have. But not theft. You SS card can be replaced rather easily with your birth certificate and a passport.

3 things that you can easily replace as long as you have the other two.
  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • SS Card
------------------------
  1. Store one at home, in safe place, generally your passport.
  2. Birth certificate - normally only needed for the most official of business, store in bank lockbox/safe with copy backup at home, another copy with trusted party
  3. SS card - original at home, copy at bank safe
  4. Passport - original at home as you'll need this more than any other, copy at bank and trusted party

Welcome to adulthood. Also remember you can get a "passport card" to go along with your passport book. Keep your book at home and put the card in the bank safe that way they cannot both be destroyed.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
First of all...why would you "bolt it to the ground" instead of to the floor or wall?

You'd need to pour a concrete foundation, either with anchor bolts, or "hilti inserts" to bolt it to the ground...and that's still not "the ground."

:p

If you REALLY want a safe, get a safe, not a lock box like that. Even hiding it as has been mentioned, you're still not very well protected.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...opnav=national

That one offers a ton more "security," can be bolted to the floor or wall, and the price isn't too bad. No, it's not a "fire-safe" safe...but it's miles better than the one in the OP's link.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Not a bad idea to have something to hold valuables against fire, which is what you have. But not theft. You SS card can be replaced rather easily with your birth certificate and a passport.

3 things that you can easily replace as long as you have the other two.
  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • SS Card
------------------------
  1. Store one at home, in safe place, generally your passport.
  2. Birth certificate - normally only needed for the most official of business, store in bank lockbox/safe with copy backup at home, another copy with trusted party
  3. SS card - original at home, copy at bank safe
  4. Passport - original at home as you'll need this more than any other, copy at bank and trusted party

Welcome to adulthood. Also remember you can get a "passport card" to go along with your passport book. Keep your book at home and put the card in the bank safe that way they cannot both be destroyed.

just scan all 3, encrypt into a 2part .rar file.
upload one of the parts to yahoo mail. other part to gmail?

or do they need the originals to replace the 3rd item?

TrueBlueLS

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2001
I would think originals would be needed as anyone could make up any of those easily with a computer.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
just scan all 3, encrypt into a 2part .rar file.
upload one of the parts to yahoo mail. other part to gmail?

or do they need the originals to replace the 3rd item?

Passport and SS needed ORIGINAL documents for wife to change name. I was able to replace SS card with ORIGINAL state ID AND ORIGINAL passport.

Government shit is pretty strict about originals in certain things. Why risk it? You've got a backup to your backup.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Drills holes in safe. get some lag bolts or concrete anchors if going into concrete. You need a hammer drill tho if pre drilling into concrete. Pre drill and screw them in.

Personally I'd toss that little safe under some crawl space or insulation and not waste my time. It's small enough you can hide it and get fireproofing you're after.