How to block Asia/China IP range from a list

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wallsfd949, Mar 11, 2004.

1. wallsfd949

wallsfd949 Golden Member

I have come across an IP list Here that list China and Korea IP ranges. I run an e-mail server and would like to block all trafic from China/Korea as most SPAM comes from the ARIN/RIPE/APNIC IP ranges. There are 3 formats : Contiguous, CIDR Format, and dnsbl zone file format. I use mailenable and Zonealarm Pro on my server thru a Linksys firewall. What is the best file to use and the best way to implement this?

**** Please note before flaming: I am in no way prejudice against Asians or Chinese. We do not have any business with those countries and never get or expect to get legitimate e-mails from them. There is no reason for me not to block these IP ranges. The only reason for me to keep them unblocked is because I just love getting pen1$ en1arg3ment and v1agra offers. ****

2. AFB

AFB Lifer

Access control lists. Either use the mail server or the firewall.

3. n0cmonkey

n0cmonkey Elite Member

Is all of that really necessary? :p

4. wallsfd949

wallsfd949 Golden Member

:p You'd be surprised how many people can get offended that I want to block Asia and China. :p

5. n0cmonkey

n0cmonkey Elite Member

Your reasons are more than valid. Thanks for the list. If I get bored I'll throw those IPs into my firewall at home :D

Just wish I knew your software so I could help.

6. Night201

Night201 Diamond Member

Can't help you there, but if you were using Linux, you could just create a custom firewall file that lists those ip addresses in the CIDR format and have the server drop any connection from those IP Addresses. That's what I do here and it helps alot with the SPAM.

I'll look into this list as well. I have some on my list I think that are in these IP ranges.

7. Kingofcomputer

Kingofcomputer Diamond Member

Interesting....

Everyday my company email got many spams from China/Korea/Brazil ip ranges, but the spam content is mostly about US trade listing, US webhosting service, US whatever.
    It's the US spammers using China/Korea/Brazil mail servers!

8. dmcowen674

dmcowen674 No Lifer