How to be considered really cool in high school?

badmouse

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2003
My youngest is a special ed kid (not even a remote possibility of ever being cool) who is starting HS soon, and we got to talking about what is/is not considered "cool" these days in HS. I asked my older kids, but they've been out of HS for a few years and evidently a few years is an eternity in HS-coolness.

So, what things are respected these days in the HS world? Good grades? Any special clothing? Tattoos, or whatever? Music? Activities?

Please enlighten this clueless old person. Thanx.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
drugs and drinking, unfortunately, is what is considered "cool." neither of which I've done.

Just surround yourself with a good group of friends and be yourself.

`K

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: badmouse
My youngest is a special ed kid (not even a remote possibility of ever being cool) who is starting HS soon, and we got to talking about what is/is not considered "cool" these days in HS. I asked my older kids, but they've been out of HS for a few years and evidently a few years is an eternity in HS-coolness.

So, what things are respected these days in the HS world? Good grades? Any special clothing? Tattoos, or whatever? Music? Activities?

Please enlighten this clueless old person. Thanx.

:Q

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If you seek to be "cool," you will never find it and you will always feel rejected by the "in" crowd that shuns you. You just have to seek your niche of like-minded individuals who enjoy the same things you do and stick with them. If those people happen to be the "in" crowd then good for you.

NotSoSimple

Feb 14, 2004
Hmm for one im in High School still; Ending my junior year right now. Now before I go a step further, if you have a problem with this <Regarding to the people who voted 17 and Under should be banned from ATOT> then dont read any further. No flaming, TY.

Having a cool car (EX: Kid at my school has a NICE WRX Impreza) is a deffinate plus. The usual knowing cheerleaders, playing football, drinking, bullying kids..Hmm what else.. The whole ricer craze has died down here a bit. Big trucks are in now. Insanely lifted Chevy's are hitting the parking lot like mad. Abercrombi &amp; Fitch is pretty popular for some...Volcom, Hurley, any other brand you can purchase at Zumiez or PacSun is 'in' also. Hope this enlightens.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Just me or the high school I went to really didn't have any "in" crowd or anything? Seemed like no one even cared what you did, whom you hung out with or dressed like.

Or maybe I was such a geek, I didn't even know who the "in" crowd was. As they say, "If you don't know who the idiot is, then it's probably you"

Kipper

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2000
...you could make your kid aware of the high school angst which pervades the education system today...

and tell him it doesn't really matter at all.

Oh yes, it centers around three things: physical appearance, material objects, and the people you know.

masterxfob

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
play pranks on the teachers or make sly remarks. i remember a kid like that in high school, he was hilarious, but he got busted so many times :D

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Wheatmaster
Don't teach your kid to be "cool." Teach him or her to be individualist.

thats exactly my thoughts.. trying to be cool is like buying friends. If they don't like you for who you are then what's the point really? HS is not the end of the world. I wasnt in the IN crowd.. but I wasnt a loser either. I had my own set of friends.

remagavon

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Kauru
drugs and drinking, unfortunately, is what is considered "cool." neither of which I've done.

Just surround yourself with a good group of friends and be yourself.

`K

:beer: for you, though not literally. Good job.

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
I was not "cool" well sure thought I was, but what worked for me was just having a close knit of friends and all of us being freaking smart :--)

It helps to outwit the little people, also playing sports is good although I didn't play any of the "cool" sports.

Above all, tell your kid to get into some sort of sport team and to try to be the best at it. That shold take care of everything.

dudeman007

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004
Hey there. I can probably give you the best answer out there. I'm 16 and a sophomore at arcadia high school in souther california. The whole "cool" idea is so freakin overrated. I'm pretty popular in school, but thats because I get involved. Get your kid in band or something. He'll meet tons of people and have fun. Im in the band myself (380 members strong) and in soccer. I have met many of my friends through these programs. As long as you have your friends your're basically set. Drugs, sex, etc. are really not that important. People do this stuff in private most of the time, and as long as you have a good group of friends youll be fine. People don't really care. Seriously. Grades are important too. You don't want to be seen as a dumbass. You have to actually try and people will respect you. If you're smart people will admire your skills. High school is like I said before, about friends. As long as you have got some you'll be fine. You don't need an army, just a group that you can trust and have fun with.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
I don't think anyone at my school is considered cool by all (or even by a majority). don't know how to answer your question.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
Guys - football, basketball, or baseball. Deal drugs if you can't do any of those.

Girls - have big knockers or a nice behind. That's all it takes really. The other girls will call you a s!ut, but only behind your back.

Cool changes depending on what part of the country your in as well. 90% of my middle school jock friends were the main "cool" kids, but it's something that didn't appeal to me so I stayed away from that drama. I can honestly say that I was well liked and just about everyone knew my name, but I didn't have any real "close" friends until end of junior year when people knew more about themselves.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
special ed how?
Mentally
or
Just slower classes? Slower classes doesnt mean a social outkast at all/

badmouse

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2003
My kid = special ed = physically challenged (lots of different stuff) = spaz, used to get beat up all the time. But very smart. He's not physically able to do sports or band or anything. However he's into games, anime, etc, has some seriously good friends and his ebay business makes more money than mine does (and mine supports us).

The question about "cool" isn't about making him cool, it was just curiosity about what's going on out there. Thanks for the comments.