how to attach wires?

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
well, i'm installing my computer in my car today, i am trying to figure out how to attach the wires to the battery. i have the big alligator clips (the ones that look like jumper cables) but that wont work for day in day out driving. i need a better option. how to do it?

oh, and 68 is a shelby year for mustangs, right?

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
get a battery clamp that has an extra post or screw in terminal (they make these for 4x4's with winches Something kinda like this) or get a battery that has both posts and side terminals.

Don't use alligater clips. They will come off when you drive out of your driveway.

oh, and 68 is a shelby year for mustangs, right?
yep.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Slice it into the hot wire that powers the radio..

Make sure the fuse can handle it...

Evadman

Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: aircooled

It can't. Assuming he is using a small desktop, he would need a fuse in the range of 40 amps (he will be pulling 25-30 under normal operation) His radio is probably 25.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Evadman

It can't. Assuming he is using a small desktop, he would need a fuse in the range of 40 amps (he will be pulling 25-30 under normal operation) His radio is probably 25.

Then he'll need to find some other 12v connection that is only hot during ignition that can handle the load, or run a new main line from the battery and manually turn it on and off.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002

i'm using a mini-itx board, and a hard drive. that's all.

Evadman

Feb 18, 2001
Then he'll need to find some other 12v connection that is only hot during ignition that can handle the load, or run a new main line from the battery and manually turn it on and off.

That was.. um.. the point of Walleye's post.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002

i am running it off the main line, and will be manually turning it on and off.

i am using an inverter, and will be wiring a rocker switch into the power like for the inverter, and placing that rocker switch in the dash (between the power and reset pushbuttons)

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Walleye

i am using an inverter, and will be wiring a rocker switch into the power like for the inverter, and placing that rocker switch in the dash (between the power and reset pushbuttons)

If that's the case, I'd wire the power inverter in the line that runs the cigarette lighter.
edit: assuming you will not be using the cigarette lighter or it's outlet for anything else.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001

If that's the case, I'd wire the power inverter in the line that runs the cigarette lighter.
There's no way that the cigarette lighter line can handle that much current.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Heisenberg

He said he was using a power inverter. Power inverters are designed to be plugged into cigarette lighter ports (or other 12 volt ports).
edit: I've run my 27" TV, satellite receiver, & laptop using a 400w power inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter port in my car (during a power outage), as long as the inverter can handle the load all it needs in 12v DC.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Heisenberg

He said he was using a power inverter. Power inverters are designed to be plugged into cigarette lighter ports (or other 12 volt ports).
If it's an inverter that's supposed to go into the lighter, then yeah, it'd be okay. If it's a heavy duty one designed to connect right to the battery, it wouldn't. I assumed since he was powering a computer, he'd need something pretty big. But maybe not.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

If you plan on using a toggle switch to turn it on and off, then I would run heavy gage wire directly from the battery to the inverter.

Edit: Just make sure you turn it off or you'll drain your battery.