How to afford a G35 right out of college (aka how to get what you want and never be unemployed)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Originally posted by: zener
Get either a rich wife or a gal which already has a G35!

Even better a rich, and cute gal will very very low self esteem who would think you are the best thing she could ever get and will afford any luxury for you.

Not gonna happen in Silly Valley. Even ugly girls have self esteem here.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
First of all, if you are convinced that you'll never be unemployed your course of learning is not yet over.

MaxFusion16

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
First of all, if you are convinced that you'll never be unemployed your course of learning is not yet over.

agreed, there is no such thing as job security.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Originally posted by: OulOat
Originally posted by: ajayjuneja
EVERY single person I've referred to Extreme Blue has gotten an offer there.

Buddy, pal. Can I get an offer too? :D

how much reserach is necessary to get an interview w/ the extreme blue program. I've worked at IBM on their relational database system: DB2 for the past two summers but I don't really have much in the research area, I was looking at the website and it says you should be published?

Technical candidate qualifications:

Minimum of six months software development experiences (programming in Java?, C++, or C) in an open source, commercial, or research setting
Minimum GPA of 3.0 (3.75 on a 5 point scale)
Ability to turn ideas into reality working closely with others in teams
Active contribution to professional communities (i.e. Open Source, IEEE, ACM, NSBE, SHPE, AISES, SWE, UPE, HKN, etc.)

I feel that I easily meet the first three requirements, but I'm lacking in the last one.

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
Ajayjunja = WORLDS BIGGEST BADDEST PR0N STAR! Thanks for the enlightening info dawg!

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
And don't worry you should loose the "College kid know everything" problem by the time you hit 30 no prob ;)

Last edited:

Wooster

Golden Member
Oct 21, 1999
There is a touch of arrogance in your talk. By reading your post I get the feeling that you believe "I am the sh!t" and everybody else is just whatever.
So is Suze Orman (arrogance lady).....

He might be a little bit of arrogance, but he desires it with all his hard works. When I was back in college, I don't get this kind of advise. I wish I had.

AJ.... way the go!!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: LAUST
I made $88K in 2001 with no degree, heck not even a day of college. I Own a condo outright, I owe $103K on a house thats worth almost 300K and do not have a car payment. I don't tell people how it all works because even with my act together I don't know and you might have some good OPINIONS on the subject your data will not work in every situation and for every person.

But here is a piece of "experience" Life doesn't go the same way for the other 2 billion people on the planet ;)

And don't worry you should loose the "College kid know everything" problem by the time you hit 30 no prob ;)
ownage = true

Zombie

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 1999
I guess most of the people who asked you for your so called "trick" needed a job in near future. What you suggest takes time. Good contacts can't exactly be cultivated overnight.

So while your advise might be acceptable to a college student, it's totally worthless to a person who is in middle of his career.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: johnjbruin
There is a touch of arrogance in your talk. By reading your post I get the feeling that you believe "I am the sh!t" and everybody else is just whatever.
There are a lot of people who have achieved the same as you have... but arrogance never pays off.
I do congratulate you on achieving so much and having good relationships with people. Your adivce is good, but you need to find a more humble way of saying it.

i'm going to have to agree with my fellow bruin here.

his entire starting post is basically...

try really hard, never give up and make lots of friends. scratch someone else's back and they will scratch yours blah blah blah.

gee... thats pretty basic stuff, im sure basically everyone here can do that yet we are not making $101000 a year

i especially do not like #2. let the jobs find you. reading that brought on seething anger and hatred. its amazing what mere words can do.

please tell that to the millions of unemployed or people with crummy jobs that they do not like (one example me). i dare you to do it. just do it in front of their face. and you will not want a new g35. you'll want a new face after it gets bashed in. if you sat there and talked about yourself as you did in your post safely behind your computer at say a bar with a few of us less fortunate ATers, i'd guarantee you it would hurt.

anyhow, i went to ucla, i majored in cs too. i'd have to say that most of this "success" thing relies on the try hard, never give up, make friends mantra BUT it invovles luck and being in the right place at the right time. i would say that i am not successful. but i keep trying, its bound to happen. he also says make friends. i have lots of friends, they are not the type that get me financial success. if i had to make friends with a certain type of person who i normally would not be friends with well that would not really be a friend it'd be more like a business contact that i am friendly to. exactly what he said it was not. fairly simple logic.

it is obvious that to have friends who will get you place, you will need to either pretend to be friends, or naturally be friends with this type of person. so i challenge you to this. make me into mr. money bags like you. seriously, i'm a very smart guy and i have friends and i try hard, if you're formula works well i'd like to be the guinea pig.

its funny i came across this thread searching for "g35" since i plan to buy one too.

so here is my g35 advice for you

wait until september. buy the 2005. all new interior. revised seats, new moldings and buttons etc. should be better if the improvements for the 2005 altima photos are any indication of nissan's newfound commitement to interiors after years of being bashed about it , then the new g35 interior will be pretty nice.

assuming you live in socal dont get the awd. it weighs 300 pounds more, and thats just $2000 wasted. assuming it doesntt rain like today everyday that is. you could buy a nav or something instead with the money. or simply paypal me the $2000 at hwee@pobox.com

i too can afford at g35 right out of college. all it took was working and continuing to work at demeaning really crummy IT jobs, living at home, and years of work selling expensive liquidated computer parts on ebay. oh as well as not going to a school that costs $30000 a year in tuition and board. however, a g35 though a great car, is not a ferrari, i'd say most people if they really put their mind to buying one, and that being the sole priority of their life, could figure out a way to get one.

in closing, you are not that special. lucky yes. special no. better than us no. condescending yes.

BrianA

Sep 29, 2000
i find your post a bit gauche, many people will do better then you and many people will do worse then you, there is no need to flaunt it. Rattling off your salary or what car you drive is a bit tactless IMO.

Hawk

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2000
There is a touch of arrogance in your talk.

Hahahaha, that's either the understatement of the year, or you are talking about a gigantic touch.